UK Honda Civic 1.6 VTEC 1993 - scratching noise

Hi,

I recently purchased a 93 Honda Civic on the very cheap end of the scale. In general the vehical seems very good except for the following issue.

When the engine is started a scratching noise is heard, on inspection it appears to be coming from the left side of the engine. This seems to occur when the car is at a low speed or when the car is stationary.

I will be taking it to a mechanic next week, but i was wondering if anyone may be able to give some ideas as to why this may be happening? What is involved in getting repaired? Expected costs?

Thanks Matthew

Reply to
Matthew M (UK)

psychic diagnosis? how about a loose belt?

Reply to
jim beam

"Matthew M \(UK\)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Probably a loose belt. Could the noise also be described as a "chirping"?

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9904B65B5C110tegger@207.14.116.130:

What we call "screeching" or "squealing",do they call "scratching"?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

With the engine running, does the noise get louder when you gently turn the steering wheel either direction? If so, the belt is slipping under load, or the fluid is low in the power steering.

Is the steering fluid topped up, and the correct brand, and viscosity? I only run Honda Power steering fluid. Everything else that is "Honda compatable" gives me problems.

Reply to
Linuxiac

Rodents ? Where's the original thread ? ? ?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_