HELP!! I have a 85 Toyota Celica GT-S Conv. w/ fuel pump problems.

HELP!! I have a 85 Toyota Celica GT-S Conv. w/ fuel pump problems. it has an access pannel in the trunk for the fuel tank reader in the dash( how much is in the tank) I don't know if the fuel pump is in the tank or on the firewall underneath the starter? does anyone have any information on this make/year/model toyota? The toyota is fuel injected if that helps. thankyou

Reply to
rscarlettfever

An on-line vendor parts catalog states the pump is in-tank.

Reply to
toyomoho

in the tank. that same access panel show you the top of the gass tank. That circle you see is the fuel pump.

Reply to
mac1833

the access panel is in the trunk under the carpet but, you cannot see the gas tank. so do i need to drop the gass tank?

Reply to
rscarlettfever

Not sure on this model car. Some early models have two access points. One for the fuel quantity sensor, the other for the pump. The access points can be under the trunk, under the rear seat (if the tank is located this far forward), or it may require dropping the tank. A pretty easy job, make sure the tank is low on fuel to lessen the weight.

If you pull up the trunk carpet and can not get to the pump (hit metal), or it is not under the rear seat, you may have to drop the tank.

Look for the access panel with the fuel hose running to it.

Reply to
toyomoho

The round access panel opens to the sending unti. You need to drop the tank to get the the fuel pump. The fuel pump (as you are facing the trunk) is to the left of the access panel.

BEFORE you got to all the trouble of dropping the tank, liberally lubricate everything there. We used some GM spray lube on mine, but we still had to remove the tank by removing the bolts from the rear of the car. K+Luckily, they didn't snap, and we greased them well before we reinstalled them!

We also had to place a jack on the tank, with a board, and jack the tank up enough to let us put the bolts back in.

This was because the clamps that you are SUPPOSED to undo to remove the tank were frozen solid, and no amount of lube would free them.

You can try unbolting them from the unit body; in my case these bolts were frozen too, so we took the 'easy' way out...

Also, make sure the fittings come undone. There may be a fuel filter behind the tank, as well as the one on the engine; now would be a good time to repace it...DON'T break the fittings!!!

Reply to
.//Hachiroku

does anyone know how would be the easiest way to remove the backseat without tearing it all to pieces. it has the fold down backseats.

Reply to
rscarlettfever

You only have to remove the seat bottom, not the seat backs. Most are just clipped in, some are bolted down. Push down and towards the rear of the car to disengage the seat cushion, then lift up.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank you so much. It doesn't have an access panel underneath the backseat, so i have to drop the tank to get the pump. Thanks everyone for your help.

Reply to
rscarlettfever

Man, look i've replace a hundred of em. one last time. the access panel, once lifted shows you the top of the fuel pump, thats what that circle is. you knock the tabs around and the WHOLE pump pops out through the circle. you change it and put it back together. YOU DO NOT need to drop the tank.....Thats what the access panel is for. Thats what makes JAP cars a little more sensible. GOOD luck.....MAC1833 ASE certified.

Reply to
mac1833