Accord Vs Civic

If you do not care about size or anything when it comes to a Honda, which is cheaper to maintain? If one is more than the other is it worth it?

Reply to
Jarrett Hurd

Prolly a civic, they are cheaper to buy, but i would much rather get an accord. They are faster and have more room plus look better.

Reply to
Shawn Taylor

A stripper DX Civic will be the cheapest to buy/own/maintain.

Reply to
MAT

The Civic is smaller in size than the Accord and has LESS power than the Accord. I would still prefer the Accord because it has more power and is larger. However, If I did not have a well paying full time job, I would settle for a Civic until I could afford to trade it in on an Accord.

Reply to
Jason

yeah sea world doesnt pay that well

Reply to
Jarrett Hurd

Jason wrote: | In article , "Jarrett Hurd" | wrote: | || If you do not care about size or anything when it comes to a Honda, || which is cheaper to maintain? If one is more than the other is it || worth it? | | The Civic is smaller in size than the Accord and has LESS power than | the Accord. I would still prefer the Accord because it has more | power and is larger.

My trusty old Civic '88 accomodates me just fine (I'm 6'1), and provides enough power to get around, onto freeways and off. It's been pretty much trouble-free and just recently passed (strict California "Enhanced Area") smog without any effort. It's taken me places, long drives, short drives, has carried two bikes (OK, front wheels taken off) in its trunk, and fits four (not super-sized) people without being totally cramped.

Ask yourself how much power and space you really *need* vs. what you want. We often make the mistake of confusing the two of them.

| However, If I did not have a well paying full | time job, I would settle for a Civic until I could | afford to trade it in on an Accord.

I could afford an Accord, but why would I want to buy one?

Jarrett - if you're on a tight budget, take all the additional costs into account, such as

- insurance

- registration

- gas (if you drive a lot, especially nowadays)

beside the pure cost of the car plus maintenance.

For pure economical reasons, an older (but well-maintained) Civic would be really hard to beat.

Reply to
tomb

impossible to beat imo! i'm 6'5 and have an 89 hatch for exactly the same reasons as you, bikes & all! plus, if you live/work in a big city, having something old & ugly is a huge positive against theft & vandalism. it's also interesting in the dating dept. if a potential date looks at my car & starts getting an attitude, i already know she's not my type.

Reply to
jim beam

"Jarrett Hurd" wrote

But it's a whale of a job.

Reply to
Howard Lester

jim beam wrote: | tomb wrote: || For pure economical reasons, an older (but well-maintained) Civic || would be really hard to beat. || || | impossible to beat imo! i'm 6'5 and have an 89 hatch for exactly the | same reasons as you, bikes & all! plus, if you live/work in a big | city, having something old & ugly is a huge positive against theft & | vandalism.

Good point, too. Even thought I don't necessarily think it's ugly - but that might be an acquired taste ;)

| it's also interesting in the dating dept. if a potential | date looks at my car & starts getting an attitude, i already know | she's not my type.

Excellent point, too! :)

Reply to
tomb

Hello, It appears that lots and lots of people must agree with you. I see lots more Civics than Accords in the town where I live. It's my guess that if gas prices remain high--that small cars (including Civics) will be more common that SUVs in the coming years. I have several friends that live over 40 miles from where they work--it's easy to understand why my friends and other people that have to drive over 40 miles per day would be more likely to buy a Civic than an Accord. Jason

Reply to
Jason

It gives you porpoise in life!

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

Reply to
Barry Adams

/mine/ is ugly. peeling paint, scratches, dents. doesn't look much, but she's like new under the hood - just the way i like it! nice & stealthy...

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
Jarrett Hurd

Reply to
Jarrett Hurd

good point ill probably do like 20-30 miles a day

Reply to
Jarrett Hurd

The Civic will be no cheaper to "maintain" but will do a little better on F.E. than the Accord. At the sacrifice of ride quality, noise and features. The Civic LX trim level suits my family drivers just fine. Currently enjoying 25 MPG (all in town, LA traffic) with a 2005 Civic Coupe LX.

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

The Accords just don't get the MPG of the Civic's and the 2001 and above Civic's are pretty roomy. I just got 41.6 mpg out of my 2002 Civic lx 5sp and that was 70 % Highway -30% city driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Rob

But insurance rates will be higher on the Civic. That may turn the balance the other way, even with the ~$2000 difference at invoice cost.

-Sonarrat.

Reply to
sonarrat

I have the Accord, my daughter has a Civic. Both are good cars and you can't go wrong either way. Go with what you budget will allow. There is no sense spending more then one can afford, as it won't do you any good if you can't afford to go anywhere with it.

Reply to
L Alpert