Automatic Seat Belts Stopped Working

Help! The altenator in my 1990 Honda Civic DX went out and the last thing to die was the automatic seat belts on both driver and passenger side. I replaced the altenator and everything is working except the seat belts. The seat belt warning light stays on red and a constant warning sound is on while I'm driving.

I did some research and I also have the problem with my car not starting if it is too hot. I usually just hose the hood down and then it starts right up but I'm wondering if I have a relay problem and if it might be connected to the problem with the seat belts. I have

150,000 miles on the car and it normally runs very well. I briefly talked to a mechanic at a Honda dealership about the "lifetime" warranty on the seat belts...what a joke! He told me it only applied if it was determined that the seat belts were "faulty" (manufacturer defect). He told me it could be electrical. Either way, he told me it would cost $90 just to have a mechanic "LOOK" at the vehicle.

This jus seems to me like it must be a simple problem. Can someone give me some guideance on what to do to troubleshoot this?

Reply to
tg

wrote

and the last

and passenger

except the

a constant

car not

down and then

problem and if

I doubt they're connected.

Sure sounds like the notorious main relay problem. If it's never been replaced/repaired on your car, I would be reading

and

I briefly

"lifetime"

only applied

(manufacturer

I think he's wrong. Go to another dealer, or call Honda's

800 number. The automatic belts failing to operate was covered under warranty on my 1991 Civic in 2001. The dealer quickly figured out that they were, with no prodding or word from me. It took the dealer a week or so to fix it (despite repeated promises of 'it will be ready tomorrow,' and despite their busting my radio antenna in the process), but they got it done.

Seat belts are mentioned on my warranty card (which of course came with the car when I bought it new many years ago) as a lifetime item.

it

vehicle.

Can someone

Reply to
Elle

There are 2 fuses on the positive terminal of the battery that are for the passive restraint system; one for driver and one for passenger. Check these before you head to another dealer..

I have an intermittant problem with my passenger belt and recently had to drive 2 hrs on christmas eve with that damn *beep*beep*beep*, so I feel your pain.

Reply to
Bruce