Break-ins due to window/lock exploit

"WooHoo2You" wrote in news:tjfke.9056$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

The thieves do not know that. Granted an alarm will not stop professional thieves or really determined amateurs,but they still are a deterrent,something that makes them move on to other,undefended targets.

One has to balance the cost of defense against the value of the item and it's contents. If you discover your ECU or other major component stolen(that may not be available anymore),then you may be getting another car sooner than you think.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Great points. It's my guess that older cars that are less likely to have alarms are broken into more so than newer cars that do have alarms and other security measures built into them. I have stickers on each front window clearly indicating that it has a security system. I purchased the stickers at the Honda dealership. I noticed the same stickers on a new Honda Accord and told the guy at the parts desk to order them for me. I don't know why those same stickers were not on my car when I purchased it.

Reply to
Jason

one way around an alarm is a piece of coat hangar straightened and heated on one end. poke it through the battery and the alarm dies. was a popular trick on the vette's years ago. Chip

Reply to
chip

chip wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I read that a drill was used.A hot wire is not going to pierce a metal fender,either.

Now,alarms also sound when battery voltage drops.Some even have backup batteries.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns966288BE8968Ejyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84:

And the South Africans have this:

I understand car thieves in South Africa are exploring other employment opportunities. If only we were so civilized.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Tomb said "- (if nothing is worth stealing in the car) - consider even leaving it unlocked. That might sound radical but at least it saves you having to replace another window.

- use an immobilizing device such as a club. Yes, those can be cracked as well (literally...) but it takes more time. Not worth for hobby thieves, and pros don't mess with crappy little Civics (no insult, I have one too ;)"

I disagree. NEVER leave a Civic unlocked! I may be gettin off-topic here (break-ins for valuables vs stealing cars). Civics are high target cars for theives primarly for their parts, not the valuables left inside. My 1992 Civic si was recently stolen. A few days later it was found. It was missing the rims and tires (originals, not fancy aftermarket wheels), steering wheel, instrument cluster, rear speaker covers (the factory ones, hard to find for a hatchback!), rear deck lid, pistons for holding the rear window open, plastic rocker panels and the trim around the radio antenna. The theives also took the time to exchange the hood, both doors, and the tailgate for junky parts. Needless to say, I barely recognized my car when I went to ID the body. Also needless to say, it was wrote off by my insurance company. The one thing that surprised me was that the theives left my Alpine in dash CD player put. I had neglected to remove the face but they left that on the floor. They did take the remote though. Also the speakers along with the doors. They also missed my two amplifiers which were well hidden under the dash on passenger side. Pros do mess with crappy little Civics! Mine had 384000 kms on it and was barely driveable since the clutch cylinders were needing replacing...Oh man I could make this post twice as long to list everything that waas wrong with that car. Lets just say there was mixed feelings when I saw it gone and realized some complete moron had stolen it!

James

Reply to
James Rose

If possible, park your car in plane sight under a light with no nearby hiding places and no nearby highways that are noisy. Thieves love to go to the back of the apartment complex next to a noisy Interstate and get the cars in the shadows under carports and next to dumpsters and those parked where they can see who's coming from all directions. I would also get a steering wheel lock.

Reply to
Steven