CD player-won't

98 Accord with factory radio & single cd player. When loading a cd, it goes in, reads track 00 and kicks it back out. Tried different cds, same thing. Might there be some kind of reset to try, or, any other ideas. I don't want to spend the money to replace it, if I have to, I can live with the crappy radio choices. Thanks,
Reply to
Joe J

It is toast.

Reply to
Clete

Have you tried a lens cleaning disk?

Reply to
Chewbacca

Actually never heard of it before. Now searching for the cheapest version to give it a try. Thanks,

Reply to
Joe J

Don't waste yer money.

Reply to
Clete

Too late, I'll report back later if it worked.

Reply to
Joe J

I'd bet it's dead. Those CD players are notorious for crapping out, and OEM replacements are screamingly expensive (IIRC, around $1200, assuming you can still find a dealer that has one in stock). Do a Google search and you'll find dozens of outfits that offer repairs on these units, which I've never tried but have heard that the results can be mixed.

The OEM CD player in our '99 Accord died somewhere around 2004. Since I had Hondacare (I bought the car used from a Honda dealer in 2003), it was replaced under warranty at no charge.

They usually start displaying error codes before they die - did yours show anything on the front panel besides track 00?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Nope, just the track 00 and then it spits it out.

Reply to
Joe J

You may want to check with these folks if you decide to try having it repaired, assuming that it turns out to be something beyond your ability to DIY:

They seem to have satisfied customers.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Just buy yerself an aftermarket deck. 100% better than the Honda one that crapped out on you. Most places have free install with a purchase. I went thru this with my 2000 Accord about 3 years ago.

Reply to
Clete

Well the lens cleaner didn't work because I can't get it to play. Same crap, track 00, then spits it out. $9.00 shot. I probably just live w/o the cd player. 1998 w/230,000 miles, not sure how much longer it will run.

Reply to
Joe J