CD player problems

2000 Explorer with factory single CD player/radio/cassette unit:

CD plays for a while, then abruptly stops playing and the radio comes on. If I press the eject or CD mode buttons, "CD err" shows on the display and the CD will not eject until I turn off the ignition then back on to somehow reset. The the CD will then eject. When it does come out, it is very hot, so it may be a heat related problem?

Has anyone had this problem or know how to cure it? I've searched through the archives and see that the CD changer models have had lots of problems. This is the single CD model.

Reply to
BOTMLINE 2
02 and 03 pick ups have had an issue with both single and sixpack CD players.... the usual message would be "CD HOT" and the unit would refuse to play..... the sixpacks would hold the CDs hostage but the single players would usually let you burn your fingers.... I mean, eject the CD....

Wintertime with heavy defroster use seems to make the problem real evident..... there is an updated player with a small fan fitted that seems to help keep the unit cool enough to function. Sorry, I'm not sure if it's covered outside the normal factory warranty (since it's not safety related... well, aside from the asbestos gloves, I doubt that there would be extended coverage).

Jim Warman
02 and 03 pick ups have had an issue with both single and sixpack CD players.... the usual message would be "CD HOT" and the unit would refuse to play..... the sixpacks would hold the CDs hostage but the single players would usually let you burn your fingers.... I mean, eject the CD....

Wintertime with heavy defroster use seems to make the problem real evident..... there is an updated player with a small fan fitted that seems to help keep the unit cool enough to function. Sorry, I'm not sure if it's covered outside the normal factory warranty (since it's not safety related... well, aside from the asbestos gloves, I doubt that there would be extended coverage).

stevef
02 and 03 pick ups have had an issue with both single and sixpack CD players.... the usual message would be "CD HOT" and the unit would refuse to play..... the sixpacks would hold the CDs hostage but the single players would usually let you burn your fingers.... I mean, eject the CD....

Wintertime with heavy defroster use seems to make the problem real evident..... there is an updated player with a small fan fitted that seems to help keep the unit cool enough to function. Sorry, I'm not sure if it's covered outside the normal factory warranty (since it's not safety related... well, aside from the asbestos gloves, I doubt that there would be extended coverage).

stevef

We don't see many Mach players at all... just the factory single and sixpack players. The upgrade includes a cooling fan in the top of the unit to circulate air... On my 2002 SuperCrew the CDs still come out HOT but I've yet to have a repeat error message since the replacement.

Jim Warman

I had the same problem in my 1999 explorer sport with the mach single in-dash cd player. Skipping, wouldn't play/eject etc. I found that it went away when I turned off the compression option.

Reply to
jtblue33