Civic dash problem.

I just got a used 2002 Civic lx and really like the way it drives and the mpg, but on my top side of the dash board on the hard plastic part it has these white spots and little scratches. At first I thought it was just some dust or white dried food specks that the previous owner may have spilled on the dash, but after closer inspection and trying to scrap the white specks off, they kept growing bigger as I attempted to remove some of them. I know now that it's the hard plastic turning white from some stress to the plastic. What's up with this, do all civic owners have this problem. Do I just need to find some brown paint to match the spots or what. Why does Honda us such cheap plastic on a dash top like this, unreal. I've owned many other makes of cars before and have never seen a dash do this before. Any advice?

Reply to
Rob