Civic Hybrid starting

On my 2003 Civic Hybrid, I noticed in the past few days on initial start when turning the key over, the engine doesn't start immediately like it normally doses. I had to turn it several times before it kicked in but after a delay. Any thoughts on what's going on? Should I be concerned? Thanks/don

Reply to
dxmah

My first thought for starting on second or later crank is leak-off of pressure from the fuel injector rail. The shadetree test is to hit the starter for about half a second (to start the fuel pump), wait about 2 seconds, crank it again and see if it starts the way you are used to. If so, the definitive test is with a pressure guage on the fuel rail. The pressure should stay up just about indefinitely, but it will usually bleed off in seconds if it is bad.

For some reason, just cranking a few more seconds instead of letting off usually confuses the injection and makes starting harder.

The cause varies a lot, but a common one is the check valve on the output of the fuel pump. Dunno where it is in the Civic, but it is often in the fuel tank :-(

Not a serious problem, but a real annoyance. Any chance it is covered by warranty?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

There are several possible causes such as a dirty fuel filter or some other problem related to fuel flow. There could also be a problem related to the starter solenoid. You might want to take the vehicle to your mechanic and have him run some tests with his electronic testers.

Reply to
Jason