starting and not starting

I have a 94 Izuzu Rodeo when I try to start it ,sometimes it will work and the next time nothing turning the key does nothing then after turning it off and on several times it will work and startcould this be the solinoid or the key switch?

thanks John

Reply to
rodeo

Have you looked at the battery terminals for build up of fluffy white/blue matter? Battery acid can eat through the contacts after a few years. I high drain device, such as the starter, can physically shift the contacts enough to either allow enough current draw to run the starter or impede it.

You have a 12 year old vehicle and the battery (probably replaced at least once) could have corroded the contacts at the battery to the point that you are only getting partial contact. Also, battery acid can run down inside the of the insulating material of either the positive cable (one to the stater motor the other to the power distribution module) or negative cable (typicaly one to the engine block, another to the body and a third to the frame) and corrode those connections as well. Acid can also "pool" inside the cable at a low point and corrode the cable there enough to prevent the starter from running, but I doubt that is you problem as is sometimes starts.

If it is caused by corrosion of the contacts at the battery, the starter, or the ground straps, it may not be evident by a visual inspection, but that is where I would start. Look for oxidized copper (i.e. the color of the Statue of Liberty) or week/loose connections/cables.

Reply to
Ed H.