Cleaning EGR valve? -2001 Accord 4 cyl

Has anyone done this? How? Any special precautions or tools needed?

(My car often stalls when I depress the clutch to the floor while coming to a stop. Searching the web, the symptom appears to point to a fouled/dirty EGR valve and that it can be cleaned to remedy the situation.)

Does the Honda TSB which (I presume) addresses this problem merely clean the EGR or does it replace the EGR?

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
Alan Browne

If it's only happening when the car is still warming up, it might also be tight valves, although that symptom is usually seen only on the first generation CR-V and the Integra.

Here's some of the TSB's, and you should SEARCH

for some more links to TSB's

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Thanks Curly, but this occurs in the spring-summer-and-fall when the engine is almost warmed up. I'm sure it's the EGR that is clogged. The procedure you show is for the 6-cyl. version, not the 4 and looks quite involved.

I'm hoping to simply clean the EGR and get on with driving...

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Browne

| >>(My car often stalls when I depress the clutch to the floor while coming | >>to a stop. What's your idling rpm ?

| I'm sure it's the EGR that is clogged. | I'm hoping to simply clean the EGR Why not ( electrically ) disable this valve, & see if engine still stalls ? A bad throttle angle sensor can stall engine, if rpm is low enough.

Reply to
TE Chea

The first point is "why does the RPM decay to under 250 RPM" ... all points to the EGR. I have an oil change coming up and I'll ask the mechanic to do the work.

This "event" either occurs or does not; and when it occurs, the engine either stalls or almost stalls then recovers.

If this event does not occur, idle is anywhere from 750 to just under

1000 ... as it has been since the car was new.

If this event occurs, the RPM decays to under 250 from where it might or might not recover. If it recovers it idles at 500 - 750 with a "sluggish" acceration for a second or two afterwards.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Browne

| idle is anywhere from 750 to just under 1000 This is high, why not reduce idling ? If engine cannot idle @