Couple of questions about the current Civic

Hi, my wife and I are almost certainly buying a new Civic, but I have a few questions that someone on here may be able to answer:

1) We've tested a DX-G, and we like it. We're wondering if there's anything significantly different, besides cosmetics, between the DX-G and the LX and/or EX? (I mean fit-and-finish quality levels rather than obvious differences in installed features)

2) I've never purchased a brand new car in my life. Last time I know someone who did so, they were advised to stick to city driving under

100 km/h until they reached 5000 km - this seems like standard burn in, to get the engine settled (as you may have guessed, I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff). Unfortunately our old car just gave up the ghost and we've been planning a road trip and we're wondering if it would be okay (maybe not advisable, but okay in general) to take our new car onto the highway for extended periods of time?

Please feel free to add any other advice you may want to share with a prospective first-time new car owner.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Reply to
curtis.batt

No. Basically the same car, different trim levels. My dealer won't carry the DX, since they are a bit less popular now that they have the same engine. It used to be that the DX meant you got a smaller engine with better mileage. Now you just lose features like A/C... ;-)

Yes. Honda recommends no hard acceleration or braking for the first 500 Miles, but otherwise, drive it. A normal roadtrip shouldn't be an issue. Hell, around here a lot of people buy their cars up to 500 miles away to save on taxes... ;-)

I am also a first time new car owner, just recently buying a Civic Si. My best advise would be to educate yourself on the pricing and features of the vehicle before you go to the dealership. Also, if you can secure financing prior to showing up, it will take away one of the tools the dealer likes to use to screw you for more money.

And make sure you don't let them sell you on how much it is per month. Don't sign until you agree on the actual price of the car, and financing (if necessary). I wouldn't expect any great deals on a Civic these days (high demand, so expect to pay close to sticker), but they love to get you to agree to a monthly payment, then pad the price of the car and the finance rates to get up to that number...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

Modern engines, especially these new Honda aluminum-blocks, are built to much tighter tolerances than in the old days, which is why, in the last couple of (new) Hondas I've had, Honda recommended doing nothing different for the first miles. I've tried to treat it somewhat gently for the first 500 or so anyway! One other thing to (possibly) avoid for breakin is extended periods at exactly the same RPM. I don't know specifically what the current Civic owners manual says, you can probably ask to see it at the dealer before you buy, you can certainly see it afterwards!

J.

Reply to
JXStern