Crankshaft Pulley Vibration, 94 accord lx, HELP

I bought this accord 5 months ago with only 93k. I changed the front engine mount since it caused vibration at idling. I also changed timing belt, water pump and all three drive belts 1 month ago. Now the car runs fine although at idling there is still some vibration. Since it's much better than before I replaced the front engine mount, it dosent' bother me too much.

Today when I topped off the ps oil while the car idling, I niticed the crankshaft pulley (and the other pulley? seems like there are two pulleys there) has some vibration, while the other two pulleys above have no vibration at all. IS THIS NORMAL?do all crankshat pulleys have some vibration when the car idling? I am afraid the honda dealer screwed something while they did the water pump job.

I searched this board, sb said there is some seal between these two pulleys, when it's broken, the crankshaft could come off. I hope that's not the problem I am having right now.

ANY INPUT is WELCOME!

Reply to
zachb

I'm not sure I understand - are you saying the crankshaft pulley wobbles, or that it doesn't seem to be round, or something else?

As to the vibration, if the transmission is automatic rather than manual the rear engine mount should change to a softer mode when idling in gear. The lever that operates an internal valve can be seen to turn under those conditions if the control is working correctly, although it may be easier to feel the movement than to see it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
rafal slodkowski

If the pulley isn't fitted to the crankshaft properly it will chew up the mating area pretty quickly... not a great big deal if the crank is much harder than the pulley (you'll just need a new pulley) but I suspect they are similar in hardness. Replacing the crank is something you don't want to do! Verify or rule this out now.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I hope I don't need another big job on my car.

Reply to
zachb

Mike

thanks, the crankshaft pulley wobbles a little. Somebodya suggested this might be the balance shaft out of time.

Reply to
zachb

Another possibility: I wonder if the key that helps affix the pulley is worn and so allowing a bit of play (or the pulley itself is worn where the key fits). The key costs only a few bucks. Might want to change it. A substitute used pulley might be had for $50.

The pulley bolt seems tight, right? Definitely check that a.s.a.p.

That this started after you did the timing belt change does suggest it wasn't all put together quite correctly. Maybe, unfortunately, redo the whole job. When you get to the pulley, wiggle it and see if there's any play there.

"zachb" wrote

suggested

Reply to
Elle