96 sephia crankshaft pulley question

Recently my mount for the alternator broke off from the water pump and now I am currently on task trying to save myself 350 dollars by changing the water pump myself. I already have the shop manual for this specific year. The book mentions that I must use a "crankshaft locking tool" or more specifically a "crankshaft holder" in order to remove the one large bolt holding down the crankshaft pulley. My question is......where can I find one? Ive found several versions for "Honda's and Toyatas but none for "Kia's" Is there another solution to my problem? Will appreciate any help.

E.T.

Reply to
E.T.

When I did this job on my sephia I had a helper put the car in gear and hold down the brake pedal. I have a 5 speed so that made the job relatively simple. I just used a large breaker bar to remove the bolt. If you have an automatic transaxle my advice would be to rent or borrow either an electric or pneumatic impact wrench. When you go to tighten it back down if you must use an impact wrench you need to be careful...run the bolt in until it bottoms out and then tighten one quarter turn with the impact wrench.

Now...as an aside note..if your timing belt is new you do not need to remove the front crankshaft pulley completely. Pull out the four bolts that go AROUND it so that you can get the timing belt covers off, but leave the center bolt installed. You can loosen up the timing belt and just push it down out of the way while you remove the water pump.

The waterpump/timing belt job is a real pain in the ass on the sephia. Took me several days. I feel your pain... ;)

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000

Well folks..since I have an automatic, I took some hints from several older threads on somehow trying to brace the flywheel teeth. I noticed that there was a small access port on the bell housing (most likely put there in order to reach the flywheel to torque converter bolts) I noticed that turning the crankshaft and looking thru the small access port (bout 6inches wide) that there are small oval holes more like vents to help cool...(I assume) on the flywheel or backing plate. I used a prybar and stuck it thru the vent like hole and braced it on the bell housing, then I used and extension pipe on my breaker bar and the damm bolt loosened! Thanks for everyones help here. Hopefully this info will be of some good use to some poor sod searching for the same problem in these newsgroups.

E.T.

Reply to
E.T.