Xsara 1.4 petrol running problems

Hi, I've recently purchased a 99(V) Xsara 1.4 54000 FSH, I'm having some trouble with the engine. The symptoms are:

  1. Slightly lumpy tick over although it's not enough to see on the rev counter.
  2. Lack of power, the revs drop off when the clutch is released, like doing a hill start.
  3. The engine sounds a bit clattery at times.
  4. The fuel consumption is not bad to be honest.

Now I've not had chance to have a look at it yet but I'm certain the head gasket is OK as the water and oil are fine. I seem to remember a while back of similar problems being discussed and wondered if this was a common problem on the 1.4 Regards

Howie

Howard Dean