Do I lose steering wheel controls with new radio?

I'm in the process of installing new radio on a 2003 Pilot but I want to know if I lose the steering wheel controls. Thanks!

Reply to
Tony54

Tony54 has brought this to us :

It will depend on if the new radio supports steering wheel controls and then you will need an adapter.

Reply to
Seth

Do I need an adapter if the radio does NOT support controls or the other way around?

Reply to
Tony54

If the radio does not support steering wheel controls then no adapter is needed as you lose the ability. How could you adapt the steering wheel buttons to a radio that doesn't support external control?

If your radio does suppot external control then you would need a sbehicle specific adapter to make the signals generic and those would then go to the radio.

Reply to
Seth

I made the appointment with the installer for monday. They confirmed that I need an adapter that costs $80, so I'll go without the external controls.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
Tony54

There was a "harness" that I was missing. That's besides the adapter.

Just 20 bucks. :(

Reply to
Tony54

The vehicle specific wiring harness is never included with the radio except for places that add it on for free (like Crutchfield). Always best to use the harness rather than splicing\cutting wires so the stock radio can be put back and to avoid potential issues.

Reply to
Seth

I'm learning along the way. But the installation didn't go through because I'd have to lose the GPS/camera. All I want is to play my phone through the radio.

Plan B is to install an auxiliary input.

I think I need this:

Tony54

Not sure I need this:

Tony54

Do you want to connect your phone wired or wireless (bluetooth)? The

2nd link you have here, for the Pilot, starts at model year 2004. The 1st product you linked requires the radi oto have RCA inputs on the back which I do not know if your radio has.

If you are in the US, call Crutchfield at 888-955-6000. I've been shopping them for years. Their prices aren't the best but competative. Where they are worth it, especially for a novice such as yourself, is lifetime tech support (both installation and use) of all products they sell.

Reply to
Seth

That's true. I was misled by the box that said "2003-..."

The

Thanks. I'll try them.

Ebay offers vehicle compatibility though sometimes it's not accurate. The radio I bought would have been compatible with the LX not the EX Pilot.

Reply to
Tony54

I don't think I have RCA connection:

Tony54

The folks at Crutchfield will know for sure as well as if there is an adapter that can go inline with a factory harness or not.

Reply to
Seth

etooth+add-on

That's just one of many examples.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Right on time. I was at Walmart and bumped into this:

I bought it, so I have to see how it works out. I think it's the same idea but I can always return it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tony54

Sorry, I must have AUX INPUT with the device you suggest. Right?

Reply to
Tony54

By the way, I want to listen to Rhapsody to avoid the commercials. The package seems to indicate I can play any music through my phone. I'll report later.

Reply to
Tony54

Well, it works. There's an audible hiss when the music stops --it has to do with the noise of the channel-- but it's better than the cassette player interface. At least it blocks all the noise pollution in the world. ;)

This solution was $100 cheaper than the professionally installed auxiliary input.

Reply to
Tony54

Wait, it gets cheaper. The original FM transmitter cost $33.99 but it's going back because I found another for $6.99!

Loud and clear but it depends on the frequency noise.

Reply to
Tony54

Come to think of it, I remember now the installer told me the auxiliary adapter would have to work with the FM so the frequency noise would have been there --I think.

Reply to
Tony54