Help Please - Honda Civic 1.7 CTDi Engine Fault - limited revs

Hi,

Just when I'm skint my super reliable 2002 Honda CTDi has developed a fault. Five minutes after starting from cold when accelerating around a wide bend in 3rd gear the engine warning lamp came on. The accelerator will not lift the revs above about 2200 rpm. This condition is now constant and is true when in gear or in neutral.

Are the limited revs likely to be a symptom of some fault or is the control unit limiting the revs because it knows something is wrong somewhere ? I'm assuming the turbo has failed.

Are there any simple tests I can do to try and diagnose what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Thanks In Advance,

Bob

Reply to
12

"12" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

it sounds like the engine is in "limp home" mode,and there's something very wrong. You can get the OBD-2 codes read for free at many auto parts stores. That is where you must begin. Telling us the mileage,auto or manual tranny,and any recent repairs or service will be of help,too.Also WHERE you are,like what country.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hi again, I'm in the UK, the car was buillt at the Honda plant at Swindon. It is a Honda Civic manual transmission ,diesel, 1.7 CTDi. (I'm struggling to find a workshop manual for it on the internet or anywhere else) It was registered on the road 2003 and has done just under 71000 miles. Three weeks ago it fully passed it's MOT (roadworthy checks + emission checks). Fuel filter was changed at the last but one service so one is due at the next.

Looks like it was in limp home mode. It's changed now though - after leaving it overnight the engine warning lamp is still on when the car is running but the car will now happily rev as normal. Presumably there is still something wrong.

With little other info I'm assuming it's an exhaust detector fault of some sort. Getting free fault codes read is a bit tricky over here - presumably manufactureres have their own interface and comms codes or is there an industry standard (eg connector pinouts and codes etc ?) Might it be possible to get software and a laptop interface lead to connect to it ?

There is a section of the exhaust pipe that looks like it might be a CAT converter (it's about 8 inches long with metal thin strips, cross platted around the outside.) When tapped it has a slight rattling sound from inside. (Hmmm $$$ £££ ?). Is there an emission detector after the CAT (assuming it is one ???) I have had a good look underneath and can find nothing so assuming there is some form of emission sensor it must be close to the exhaust manifold (???)

My next step is to look for any detector and test it and try and get any fault codes read (without spending a fortune on labour charges). I read somewhere on the newsgroup about the car's computer forgetting any fault code conditions after the car has been started three times - sound like a myth or crap design ? I wondered, if it is true, if that is why the revs are now ok.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions - any further to be offered would be most gratefully received.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
12

filters matter. especially if you have cold weather.

what is the malfunction code from the computer?

Reply to
jim beam

Hmmm, Pull the error code first and start from there. Honda has ISO interface connector. I use my own OBD II code reader with my notebook computer USB port. Hand held simple code reader is not that expensive.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

may i also add that honda uk have then told me that they have an extended warranty out on this turbo fault up until the car reaches 7 years old, so i got my £330 back no hassle. v v v happy! i love the dealership, very helpful.so go get it done before it reaches 7. any queries, contact honda uk as my dealer was not aware of the warranty at the time. there is also an ext warranty out on the aircon condensor, ,all 2002,

2003 and some 2004 cars.until the car is 6 years old, again, the dealer was not aware, but i have it in writing from honda uk, so its going in next week, so we ll see.cheers, james
Reply to
jphimister