honda civic

Before i Started my car i had my headlights on and when i went to turn the egnition my headlights turned off and my car wont start. Do anyone know what happened or what i should do?

Reply to
sweettoothlindy

What do you hear when you turn the key in the ignition? Just clicking? Or does it sound like the engine is actually starting to move?

If just clicking, check the battery voltage first.

How old is your Civic? How many miles? What is its maintenance history?

"sweettoothlindy" wrote

went to turn the

Do anyone know

Reply to
Elle

My guess is the battery connections gave up. A voltmeter, if you have one, is the very best way to check. You can do a crude check for bad connections at the cables by pushing a penny or pocketknife blade down hard along the joint between the cable end and the battery post, then twisting a bit. If you see sparks you've found the culprit.

Batteries sometimes fail from internal conductor cracks. A voltmeter is pretty much required to check that out; if the voltage at the battery posts themselves is way below 12 volts with the headlights on the battery is bad. I am not suspecting the alternator because you reported the headlights being on and working until you tried to crank the engine, then they quit.

If the problem isn't at the battery you need advice from somebody here who has experience with the battery fuse.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Dead Battery, been there done that.