Honda Odyssey 2001 EX or get the Honda Odyssey 2002 EX?

Hi, the 2001 Honda is $11500 with 83k miles on it (EX). The other is an

2002 Honda EX with 38k miles on it and it is $16500.

From what I can tell they are both "good" buys, but was wondering what

someone else thought.

I know the engine and transmission was changed in 2002 to 240 HP and 5 spd. transmission. The Side Air Bag was added in 2002 (but it appears to be only for the driver and passenger, nothing for the back rows.) The NHTSA gives the same rating for safety for both vehicles (does SAB not add something?)

The recalls on the 2002 are for the transmission and engine coolant, and I can find no recalls at all for the 2001.

The cabin size is the same. In fact, aside from the engine's horsepower, they appear to be identical vehicles.

How does the transmission hold up in these kind of vehicles? How many miles can I expect from the Minivan, if not towing anything? My Accord has 157K miles on it.

Thanks for helping me. Still, 38,000 miles is good. I just wanted to get some opinions.

Reply to
needin4mation

They both have serious transmission problems. 01 transmission warranty was extended, 02 wasn't. Search at

for lots of information..

Reply to
Woody

The 4 speed *definitely* had SERIOUS problems.

I wouldn't call the 5 speed problem serious, but it is something to be aware of.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My '02 Ody EX (bought used in Jan '05) recently had the EGR valve replaced by a local dealer no chrg. Symptoms were that the tranny was "choking" and "sluggish" around 80 km/h and 105km/h when under very little throttle. Otherwise the van's been great. Brendan.

Reply to
B Mullen

I can find nothing but (almost) tranny horror stories on the Internet.

Reply to
needin4mation

My '02's transmission was replaced at no charge around 83,000. It was covered by both the Honda warranty extension (2002 was, in fact, covered) and the Honda certified extended powertrain warranty. The new (or rebuilt, whatever) transmission is noticably better, and the annoying gear whine is finally gone.

Reply to
travlin_guy

I found a guy with a 2000 with 86k and a new transmission with a 3 yr/36k miles warranty $10,000.

Reply to
needin4mation