Honda search installment 1

I looked at some available 2002 Honda Accord models, but they all had far too many miles on them. Most were pushing 100,000 or more. I test drove a couple of 2006 and 2007 Accord SEs and they were very nice cars.

While my pathological hatred of Microsoft tends to make me shy away from anything with the butterfly icon (MSN) this site is actually very useful. I found a wealth of information available.

I also discovered that it is possible to subscribe to the online version of Consumer Reports on a monthly basis for seven bucks.

I looked over their used car recommendations, reliability ratings, and reviews of individual models and concluded that the Japanese branded models still have a substantial reliability edge. So, I think I am on the right track looking for a Honda Accord.

Here is one that caught my eye (watch for line wrap)

It is supposed to be a 2007, but is actually cheaper than some comparable 2006s, with extremely low mileage. .As far as I can tell, the only things that might bring the price down are the lack of a moon roof (like a give a rat's patootie) and the fact that it is not a "certified" used car. But it should have some original warranty left. I think I will go look at it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for the insurance company to send a check.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:07:30 -0500, Elliot Richmond

I apologize. That link just takes you to the auto trader site. But if you set the zip code to 78749 and search for a used 2007 Honda Accord sedan, it will come up.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Sounds like somewhere in Austin...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

100k miles is middle age for a well maintained Honda. They should go 250k miles or more. I currently have 253k miles on my '88 Civic and I'm hoping to make to at least 300k or 350k miles (though more would be nice).

Eric

Reply to
Eric

ESPECIALLY a 4 cylinder model with manual transmission. That is the absolute jewel of the Honda lineup. Civic, Accord--no matter. 4 cylinders and manual transmission.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

and crx. see earlier r.a.m.h post on 500k "crx hero".

Reply to
jim beam

i agree. you can get a great price on a vehicle that mileage, take care of maintenance like timing belt, driveshafts, maybe clutch, and still be well ahead of the price you'd pay for an 06/07. and you get the last of the "real" accords.

take care of the radiator, meaning replace before you crack it and run it dry, and you likely won't ever blow the head gasket either.

Reply to
jim beam

Spousal unit wants a sedan (although she likes to haul around a bunch of stuff, so I think a small, car-based multi-purpose vehicle would be a good choice).

Thanks for all of the good advice. I plan on keeping whatever car I buy for as long as I kept the last one. At my age, it could very well be the last car I ever buy. I am not that old, but if I keep the car

15 years, I will be. So, I tend toward an almost new Honda. We bought the '93 with less than 10k on it, so it was like new. I am really looking for a car with less than 20k. Strangely, they are available. I found the one with 5k, and I am still puzzled. It may be a repo, but I am going to look at it.

I tried the local CarMax web sites and looked over their inventories. They have lots of "06 models, but they all look like fleet and rentals. I was not impressed.

More to come.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

I bought my '92 Honda (at an auto auction in PA for about $1800.00 under blue book value), with 123,000 miles on it. It's now up to

135,000 miles. Yes there is that darn rusty butt problem, but it just keeps going and going.
Reply to
sam8988378

Darned troublesome spousal units. I thought there were supposed to be revisions and upgrades!

Mike (whose spousal unit doesn't frequent these dark corners!)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Often, it may prove feasible to swap in the "spousal unit" rather than the mode of transport...

JT

(No spousal unit to watch over me!)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Although the core charge can be exorbitant.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Eric" wrote

Hi Eric, is the oil consumption greater these days on your

88 Civic compared to say five-ten years ago? I am pretty sure my 1991 Civic (197k miles) is consuming more oil these days. At least, I find myself adding a 1/2 quart or so every 5k miles or so. I do not think this bad. Mileage remains great at over 40 mpg. I still tend to think the rusting body is going to give out before the engine does.
Reply to
Elle

Hmmmph!

Sacrifice the core, it ain't worth the effort to recyle...

Start fresh!!!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire