How does this sound?

The dealer told me they would need to flush the break, transmissions, and other fluids, and also replace a bunch of filters like pollen filters, etc. They also did an oil and filter change. As well as rotating tires and other typical maintenance stuff. For all that, it would be $500, and that is after the 10% discount. So is that reasonable, or am I being robbed blind?

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, wrote the following at or about 7/12/2007

2:12 PM:

Looking back over your recent posts under various subjects, I would make the following observations.

1) I'm guessing the reason they don't have your records on file is that they wanted to destroy the evidence.

Beyond that, it's kinda hard to tell exactly what maintenance is necessary since I didn't see mention of your year/model/mileage, just that you're a low mileage driver.

That said, the oil change & filter should not cost you more than $30 even at a dealership. That, again, is one of those things they typically advertise at a low price to get you in the door.

Assuming they change out the brake fluid and the transmission fluid... what other fluids does that leave them to deal with? They've already changed the oil, what are they gonna do change out the anti-freeze, gasoline and windshield washer fluid?

Filters? Already did the oil filter, right? That leaves air, fuel and that "all important" cabin filter. Maybe $45 for all three of them. Not sure if the fuel filter is inside or outside the tank. That would make a big difference.

Rotation of tires is a no-brainer yet they typically gouge you $30 for the job even if the car's on the rack for something else. Did they offer to change the air in the tires too?

Your best bet is to make a list of what they told you they were going to do for the $500 and then sit down FIRST with the owner's manual and turn to the maintenance schedule, check the mileage on your car and take a look and see what Honda recommends.

About the only thing I can definitely tell you with the limited information that you've provided is that IF your car is < 3 years old and

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Waddaya mean "typical maint"?

If this was a 30k or 60k or other benchmark mile service, it can get expensive, esp at a marginally honest dealer.

If it's just filters and tires, of course you're being robbed. "Flush" of anything is seldom necessary, why was it done at all? Did they also replace the brakes?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Seems reasonable to me.

The brake fluid should be flushed every few years, as it will absorb water. That is not a cheapie service. The tranny fluid is obviously necessary if you are in the right time/mileage frame.

Normal recommendation on a Honda is to just drain and fill Tranny, though. Don't have them use a flush machine.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

It turns out that they were doing the 60K Service for me. They charged around $100 for parts, and around $380 for labor.

My car is a 97 Accord with 66K miles.

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

Robbed blind..

That trip should cost you $79.99 and should also include a donut and coffee.

Jesus, I am getting sick of people being screwed of their money.

Reply to
boondocks