Hybrids

Hi.

What does everyone think of the hybrid?

Mark

Way too much money for far too little bang...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I love mine, it is an upgrade in features from the EX and gets 45 mpg...my net cost was far less than the EX when rebates and other tax incentives came into play. I have driven a LX & received 24 mpg in the city, I regularly get 45 mpg in my HCHII city, I rarely take it on the freeway as we do not have many freeways here but when I do I have received 50-58mpg.

Reply to
Justbob30

By the way, you can go to

and see the opinion and mileage of people who actually own one.

Reply to
Justbob30

My '83 FE gets 42 mpg city and about 55 mpg highway. It's paid for and I have spare back ups.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

My 07 is paid for as well and it is not 25 years old with 25 years of wear and tear on it.....I replace my car about every 6 years. I am not saying you have made a wrong choice, just is not MY choice to drive a car that old.

Reply to
Justbob30

I think hybrids are a great little car, but I don't have one because; -it currently takes 3-6 mos to get one because of price of gasoline. -not sure the cost difference is worth it for the little driving I do.

Also wonder how long the battery packs last, and if one fails after 6-8 years, do you replace it? The battery might cost more that the car is worth at that point.

What does everyone think of the hybrid?

Mark

trailer

The battery has a substantial warranty on it depending where you live, 8 yrs, 80,000 miles or as much as 150,000. Battery failure is quite uncommon with some reaching 300,000 miles or more. Hybrid technology is not that new, Honda has been making hybrids since about

1995, the HCHII is actually 4th generation (Insight, Accord, Civic I & Civic II).

A battery pack costs about 2000-3000 new, you can obtain them from wrecking yards and there are start up companies that will referb them by replacing a failed cell or two.

Consumer reports actually rates the Hybrid slightly more dependable than the standard Civic. My 1 year old car, at this point is selling for a couple hundred less than I paid which is quite a profit considering I already took the $2,100 credit on my taxes which was available at the time I bought it. They don't destroy any part of Canada that is FUD created before the Hybrid was even introduced.

Is the wait worth is to save MAYBE 50 % on your gas bill, only your wallet can say but lets do some numbers.... a 2008 Civic, 24 mpg city 15,000 / 24 =625X $4.25 =$2,656, 15,000/45=1416. saved.... $1,416 x 6 $8,500 ...the cost of a Civic EX $20,000, Hybrid $22,600...what is your estimated payback period?

Some will argue I am using a EX auto not a DX 5 speed, but the EX is the closest comparison to the Hybrid trim level otherwise you are comparing Washington apples to granny smiths :-)...but you use what ever comparison makes you happy, after all, the choice of vehicle is yours not mine or anyone else's

Some will argue the standard civic gets better than 24 mpg city, it might some people get 30 mpg, but, some people also get 52 mpg in the Hybrid city so, apples to apples again we cant compare the highest mileage of one to the lowest mileage of the other. I have driven both the gas and Hybrid Civic, I get 24 city in the gas and 45 city in the Hybrid.

Reply to
Justbob30

Oops, math error, should say, 15,000/45=1416. $2,656-$1416=1239 saved. 1239 X 6 =7,434 saved over 6 years presuming gas stays @ $4.25 a gallon. In other words, if you bought the car for $23,000, saved no more than $7,434 and received the current $525 tax credit sold the car in 6 years (with

90,000 miles) for $12,000 (98 Insights are going for $15,000 or so on e bay) you would have paid $3,041 for 6yr/90,000 miles or about .04 per mile. I have not included taxes and maintenance in this figure, the HCH is known for low maintenance brakes for instance are rumored to last 100,000 miles because of the regen braking & oil can go 6-12k miles since the car determines when a change is needed....this is of course presuming....gas does not continue to rise.
Reply to
Justbob30

On Usenet, every car is paid for. ;)

Reply to
Siskuwihane

Yep, and to boot... I have steely rippled abs, chisled chin and piercing eyes!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire