i need some honda advice

i am buying a 97 honda civic dx....i am buying it with no up grades and plan on putting up grades myself....how should i go about in doing this....the only up grades i really want is a muffler and a cold air intake system.....as some of you know the 97 honda civic dx only comes with a stock 106 horse power....i want some "cheap" horse power...what can i do?....

Reply to
tsalvador2

To get expert advice on this forum, you better tell us about your car: Km driven, is it auto transmission or what etc.

I have a 1996 civic and from my only 8 months experience I would like to tell you that you check the transmission very carefully before you buy it.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
ExtremeValue

  1. almost every single "cold air" intake sold for hondas take air from inside the engine compartment and therefore they're not "cold air" at all. and they give inferior filtration compromising engine life.
  2. there ain't co such thing as "cheap power". there's cheap noisy that /sounds/ like power, but if you want the real deal, you got to spend a little.

the cheapest real deal for genuine power increase is a sport header and a "mini me" head conversion from the ex. forget the rest. also, make sure you have good plugs, good leads [spiral wound like magnecor are worth the money] valves adjusted correctly, synthetic oil, quality gas, clean air filter - they'll all help a little. that dx is fundamentally de-tuned, so there's not a lot you can do with it without conversion work. my 89 dx used to spank my 2000 dx, so i sold the 2000 and kept the 89!

Reply to
jim beam

Yep, there is "cheap, fast, reliable." You can pick 2 and only 2!

Reply to
MAT