QUESTION: Inner Tie Rod Ends On 1996 GT

It is time for me to renew the steering components on my 1996 Mustang GT (over 120,000 miles).

I have purchased a set of new TRW inner tie rod ends, and I have rented the proper inner tie rod long socket tool that is needed to remove and install these parts.

However, I won't be able to use this tool to install the TRW tie rod ends, because the tool socket will not slide past the "shoulder" of the tie rod end's ball socket. The very end of the ball socket casing has the proper hex shape, but the "shoulder" of the casing where the ball resides is much too large.

Should I try to use another brand of tie rod end that will (hopefully) fit my tie rod tool? Or should I try to use a crow's foot wrench to install the new tie rod ends? (Or should I even try to use a regular crescent wrench?)

I am thinking of returning the tie rod end tool, but I'm keeping it for now, in case I can possibly use it to remove the old tie rod ends.

Has anyone ever run into this situation?

Many thanks in advance for whatever advice/tips you can give. I do not want to get stuck halfway through this repair!

Reply to
EADGBE

is my "weapon of choice". (Actually, not this exact one... but very similar and a little spendier). The "wrench" is slid on to the hex of the TRE and then the tube is slid down over the "wrench". I have several "size dedicated" tube sockets.... they are, more or less, toolbox eye candy..

is my "weapon of choice". (Actually, not this exact one... but very similar and a little spendier). The "wrench" is slid on to the hex of the TRE and then the tube is slid down over the "wrench". I have several "size dedicated" tube sockets.... they are, more or less, toolbox eye candy..

Reply to
Jim Warman

Top AND bottom posting...... I'm sure you've made everybody happy now Jim!

Or, not.........

(Don't you just love the internet police?)

Reply to
Kruse

Well.... we'll just have to wait and see.... I'm sure that many will dwell on this part of my reply and find me to be a disgusting waste of oxygen... These people will deny the "other" part of my reply (see below) and find great glee in the fact that they will avoid doing anything with any significant meaning.

Still others (trapped in some neanderthal internet time warp) that have little better than dial up "turtlenet" will find my disregard for bandwidth abhorrant. I will be duly chastised for some form of "cross" posting... Still, this is much better than "cross dressing".

The modern world is the modern world.... We can spend our time bitching about stuff.... Or we can actually become part of the solution... Me? I'm gonna keep poking at the dog with a stick....

Well.... we'll just have to wait and see.... I'm sure that many will dwell on this part of my reply and find me to be a disgusting waste of oxygen... These people will deny the "other" part of my reply (see below) and find great glee in the fact that they will avoid doing anything with any significant meaning.

Still others (trapped in some neanderthal internet time warp) that have little better than dial up "turtlenet" will find my disregard for bandwidth abhorrant. I will be duly chastised for some form of "cross" posting... Still, this is much better than "cross dressing".

The modern world is the modern world.... We can spend our time bitching about stuff.... Or we can actually become part of the solution... Me? I'm gonna keep poking at the dog with a stick....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Dogs with sticks can be dangerous. Be cautious.

Reply to
Frank ess

You sneaky SOB...

You sneaky SOB...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks so much for the information so far...

It looks like I rented the wrong tool. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the "semi-circle" tool instead.

Thanks again!

Reply to
EADGBE

Yes, us Serene Old Boys are Sneaky.