ngk spark plugs

I decided to change my spark plugs today and called for some prices.I used the spark plug number in my manual and called Honda first.They quoted me

102.00 plus taxes for all 6.(btw...2001 accord ex v-6)The plug the manual lists is pzfr5f-11. I then called a local parts place that sold ngk and they quoted me 27.00 each(162.00 for all six).I then went on the ngk website to see what was recommended.The following ones were listed for my car. v-power zfr5f-11 g-power zfr5fgp laser pzfr5f-11# iridium zfr5fix-11 I then went to crappy tire because I knew they carried nkg.I asked them to look up my plugs because that guide they have hanging of the shelves didnt even list anything for my car....nothing after 2000.They looked it up and said Bosch platinums.I was curious why they didnt have any nkg's listed for my car. I then took my list(above)to the spark plug section.There I found ngk plugs with the numbers zfr5f-11.Notice the only thing missing is the"p"in front of that number listed in the manual? Getting a little frustrated I bought them($6.29 for 2)and took them home and installed them.The car seems to ride fine but am wondering if there is any difference in those plugs?I realize the number is almost the same(other that the"p" at the start but 1/5 the of the price has got me wondering.I changed the plugs because I am only getting 15.5 miles per gallon.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Reply to
slider

"slider" wrote in news:JQd5e.5907$VF5.1485@edtnps89:

The "P" means "platinum". Your new plugs are regular ones. I'll bet your manual calls for platinums.

You'll need to replace those a lot more often than platinums.

Here's what all that alphabet-soup gibberish means:

What did the old plugs look like? If your mileage is that bad, you've got problems unrelated to the plugs. Is/was the Check Engine light on? Any stored codes? How'd that car do at its last emissions test?

A bad pre-cat oxygen sensor can cause bad fuel mileage.

Reply to
TeGGer®

that makes sense,especially as far as the price goes.As far as the check engine light,it hasn't been on since I got the car,but that was only about 9 months ago.The manual does call for the "p"plugs,or platinum,thanks to your info. I will at least see if my mileage improves with these plugs. thx for the info and link!

Reply to
slider

That seems pretty ridiculous for a price. That is the same number as used on my 98 civic, and I replaced with platinums about 5 years ago. It cost me $50 for 4.

Also I would recommend against Crappy tire plugs, based purely on experience. My uncle ran NGK plugs from CT, and the car was missing and running like a pig. Took them out and put in the SAME NGK plugs from Piston Ring (local autoparts store here in the 'peg) and it ran like new. Don't ask me why... Maybe CT and Piston Ring use different manufacturers who hold a license to produce the plug with the NGK name on it?

disallow

actually,if you read the first reply to my post,you would have seen that what I bought was non platinum plugs,that is why the "p" was missing from the plug number.If they were platinum,they would have had the "p"in front of the number. As far as buying from Crappy tire,ngk plugs are ngk plugs...I simply didnt buy the platinum ones....at the time I didn't know what I was buying.The ones I got are fine,just that I will need to change them more often.As a matter of fact,they didn't even carry the platinum ones. thx

Reply to
slider

You get an occasional bad plug from all mfgs... some are better than others, NGK is usually pretty good in my book. I've put in thousands of them. It's also possible the box had been dropped or an insulator cracked in the installation. Happens to the best of us once in a while... it's life.

The plugs originated at the same place.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I got the iridium plugs that came out of my Honda V-6 for $65 from Car Quest.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Reply to
slider

parts are cheaper in the US

Reply to
disallow

Just planning on replacing them in 12 months. Unless you buy the 100,000 mile iridium plugs you'll need to replace them every year.

-jeff

Reply to
hondaman

I ordered a 4 set of Iridium NGK last year from NGK.com. Paid about $6 each. Still waiting for the right time to replace the regular NGK on board my Four-Banger Accord.

My experience was that the car run much much smoother after new plug installed. I can't wait to try the Iridium plug which should give a big boost in spark quality.

Reply to
DaviT