NO AIRBAGS 97 ACCORD..HOW DO I MAKE SRS LIGHT STAY OFF!!!

I BOUGHT A A 97 HONDA ACCORD LX USED....WITH NO AIRBAGS..(BEEN WRECKED) ....I HAVE NO PLANS OF REPLACEING THE AIRBAGS...SO IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE
THE SRS LIGHT GO OFF AND STAY OFF...(FUSE)...(CUT A WIRE) ................ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL...TY

You might want to check and see if not replacing the airbags is legal where you are. You may find that you have no choice but to replace them.
Brian
I doubt there would be anyplace in the USA that REQUIRES airbags to be installed and operational. That is only on new cars. The airbags do not contribute to the safety and road worthiness of the vehicle itself.

What's the point in having safety features installed in a vehicle if they're not required to be there?
Brian

Google easily spit up Utah as one place that requires blown airbags to be replaced, *I think* at least if the work is being done by a shop.
Yes but we are not talking about repair work to a car. We are talking about a guy who is driving the car and is not obligated to any authority to replace them.

The NHTSA specifically prohibits disablement without written permission. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/pages/FAQsABDeactiv.htm
I would guess that they would take a dim view of simply not replacing them.
But then you need to get caught first...
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 4/10/05 8:47 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com,

Remove the bulb.

I disabled the airbag in our 1999 Tercel. All it took was to unplug the yellow connector from the airbag ECU. That turned off the SRS light as well.
I'm in Ontario, Canada, so it's legal for me to do this.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Yes... Aren't "safety" devices irritating! However, I strongly recommend not messing around with the SRS system if there are any un-detonated airbags left in the system! You risk significant injury (most notably ...almost guaranteed permanent hearing devastation!!!) if you cause an automobile airbag to go off while you are in close proximity!
I don't know about the '97 Hondas, but it appears that the recent models want to see approximately 2 Ohms across the leads for both the primary and secondary inflators. Once the impedance the SRS unit "sees" is ok, I would expect to be able to clear the DTC trouble code(s).

"JIM via CarKB.com" wrote:
If you put the correct value resistor across the wires going to each (now missing) air bag, the air bag controller unit will believe the air bags are in place. You still have to reset the system to turn off the light, but it will not come back on again. People will often install kill-switches for the passenger air bag if they have a baby seat there. This kill switch disconnects the air bag and connects a resistor in its place. Perhaps if you search for "airbag disable switch" you can find information about resistor values etc.

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:

Why can't he just unplug the connector at the ECU? That works with Toyotas.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGer" wrote:

On my '94 Civic there is a piece of circuitry in the cluster that lights up the SRS light. Looking at the wiring diagram, it seemed to me that disconnecting the wire harness at the control unit will turn the light /on/. The wiring diagram does not show any component values, so it's hard to tell.
After reading you comment about removing the main connector, I dug a little deeper in the service manual. In the trouble shooting section, it says that after unplugging the connector at the SRS unit, the SRS light should be /off/, so I guess that would be the simplest solution.
and if any of those don't work, you could always do the obvious, remove the light bulb....... Robb

: I BOUGHT A A 97 HONDA ACCORD LX USED....WITH NO AIRBAGS..(BEEN WRECKED) : ....I HAVE NO PLANS OF REPLACEING THE AIRBAGS...SO IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE : THE SRS LIGHT GO OFF AND STAY OFF...(FUSE)...(CUT A WIRE) : ................ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL...TY : I would suggest that you get out of my insurance risk pool.
Paul