'99 Accord Blinking Oil Light -- sanity check

Hi, (I posted this in a rec. group, then I found this group...sorry)

1999 Honda Accord 4 cylinder with 116K miles. Bought used about 1K miles ago.

I changed the oil, and put on a non-Honda oil filter (STP). Car ran fine for about 1K miles -- now the oil light blinks intermittently. It will blink for about a minute, then go off for 10-15 minutes, then blink again. No matter what the driving situation. After the first couple of times I saw this, I stopped driving the car, it's sitting in my garage now.

I called the dealer, and the lead service guy told me that when they see this it is always the oil sender switch. He said if it were really a mechanical problem, the light would blink all the time.

So, I figure that for $10 (cost of switch), I'll just change it, and I'll also switch to a Honda labeled oil filter, from the dealer.

Questions: Anyone else been through anything like this? Could the STP oil filter have been the culprit? Does the analysis/conclusion make sense -- that if it were really a mechanical issue, the light would stay on all the time?

Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randy MacKenna

i think those stp filters are too cheapo for a honda. i would switch to nothing less than fram or the oem honda ones. use valvoline to. :)

-jeff

Reply to
hondaman