No start 93 Accord

Two words: Main relay!

High Tech Misfit

Trying to help a neighbor. She went to the grocery store yesterday and when she came out her car would not start. Cranked fine, but not even a hit. Sounded like dead ignition or no fuel. Took her and the groceries home, grabbed some tools and went back. About half way there it started to rain hard, so I came back. This morning I hitched up the car trailer and went to get it. It started right up?? Car has 86 K miles on it, had 1/4 tank of fuel. I filled the tank just to check the fuel gauge and it seems right. Now I'm wondering when and where it will quit again.

Is this typically a fuel or ignition issue? Just trying to be better prepared next time.

There is a service port to check fuel pressure. It says it's a 6 MM bolt. Is that right? Do I have to make a bolt or can I find a fitting for this? Where can I get the washers for the various banjo fittings?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

--------------------------------

Yep, Main Relay.

Don't try to unbolt it, just slip it out of it's shell and resolder it. google will find you lots of sites that deal with r & r and resoldering. You can smack the dash in the meantime if it happens when the car is hot inside.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

A related question. Can the car go dead while driving when the main relay is the problem or does the main relay affect only the ignition process? (for example bad ignition switch can make the car go dead...)

TIA michael

'Curly Q. L> >

Reply to
michalis0

As far as I'm aware, a bad main relay causes problems only when attempting to start the car.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit