obd1 not obd in 99 civic dx (turbo)

After not getting a link on my code reader I took it to a shop to fix the connection. they called and said whomever put in the turbo also installed and OBD1 ecu which was why I couldnt talk to it. My question is will this pass inspection in texas or do they require the original ecu? Can I put in an OBD2 or will it start throwing CEL codes?

Reply to
RM

first things first: talk with the person that did the work. you're a paying customer.

Reply to
jim beam

"RM" wrote in news:hxW7f.84618$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.news.easynews.com:

It is illegal in the US to alter or remove the car's emissions system. It is also illegal to retrofit a later car with an earlier emissions system. You may have bought a white elephant there.

Will you fail inspection? It appears to depend on where you live.

TeGGeR®

Used car from an individual, was that way when I bought it.

Reply to
RM

well, it looks like you have a job on your hands. afaik, the turbo will run [and smog] with obdcII, so you're going to have to put that thing back in there to pass the test. the "reason" most people don't run obdcII is the speed limitation it has built in. [not that you can legally get anywhere near it.] there's a ton of "2ner" sites out there that'll outline the task if you want to do it yourself. or just find someone that can do it for you.

Reply to
jim beam

i am bidding on some computers on ebay now so I guess I will try to replace it and see what happens. i am very mechanically inclined, I just have never dealt with forced aspiration. I am a "more cubic inches" kinda guy.

Reply to
RM