96 F250 OBD 11 connector?

I have a 96 F250 that now has to pass the Texas annual environmental inspection, run by computer via the OBD 11 connector. I have taken this truck to a Ford dealer, local Chevy. dealer and an independent state inspection station. None of the above can find the connector. The owners manual has a brief reference to a preliminary driving exercise before doing the OBD 11 test, but no more info. I posted this question to the official Ford customer service site but their response was to take it to a Ford dealer. The 2003 sticker expires at the end of this month. The Chevy dealer said if the vin has a T in the tenth position of the number, it has a connector somewhere. The vin does have a T in the tenth position. Can anyone help? Thanks. MM

Reply to
Mike Merritt

Usually, the connector is located on the left hand rear of engine compartment, close to the firewall.

Hope this helps

JP

Reply to
JP

||I have a 96 F250 that now has to pass the Texas annual environmental ||inspection, run by computer via the OBD 11 connector. I have taken this ||truck to a Ford dealer, local Chevy. dealer and an independent state ||inspection station. None of the above can find the connector. The owners ||manual has a brief reference to a preliminary driving exercise before doing ||the OBD 11 test, but no more info. I posted this question to the official ||Ford customer service site but their response was to take it to a Ford ||dealer. The 2003 sticker expires at the end of this month. The Chevy dealer ||said if the vin has a T in the tenth position of the number, it has a ||connector somewhere. The vin does have a T in the tenth position. ||Can anyone help? Thanks. MM

I have the same problem with a '96 F350. So far I haven't found it. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net:

It will probley be just behind the big fuse and relay box on the left fender. It will be snapped into a cover and be a non odb 2 test. I have run accross a couple of em now. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

|| snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in ||news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net: || ||> On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:41:57 GMT, "Mike Merritt" ||> wrote: ||> ||>||I have a 96 F250 that now has to pass the Texas annual environmental ||>||inspection, run by computer via the OBD 11 connector. I have taken ||>||this truck to a Ford dealer, local Chevy. dealer and an independent ||>||state inspection station. None of the above can find the connector. ||>||The owners manual has a brief reference to a preliminary driving ||>||exercise before doing the OBD 11 test, but no more info. I posted ||>||this question to the official Ford customer service site but their ||>||response was to take it to a Ford dealer. The 2003 sticker expires at ||>||the end of this month. The Chevy dealer said if the vin has a T in ||>||the tenth position of the number, it has a connector somewhere. The ||>||vin does have a T in the tenth position. Can anyone help? Thanks. MM ||> ||> I have the same problem with a '96 F350. ||> ||> So far I haven't found it. ||> Texas Parts Guy ||> || || It will probley be just behind the big fuse and relay box on the left ||fender. It will be snapped into a cover and be a non odb 2 test. I have ||run accross a couple of em now. KB

So a 1996 model could still be OBD1 or EEC-IV? I thought therey were required to be OBD2 in 1996. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.txol.net:

Thats what I thought untill I found some mid year ones still the old style. KB I have a buddy with one and it is a march build date.

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:49:07 +0000, Rex B rearranged some electrons to form:

That was just for passenger cars. Trucks were later.

Reply to
David M

The connector is about 1"wide and is located on the under side of the dash under the glove box,and is black in color. Jeff

Reply to
JSMMV

||The connector is about 1"wide and is located on the under side of the dash ||under the glove box,and is black in color. ||Jeff

True, but it's not there on my '96 F350. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

My 97 PSD F250 has it in the cab, under and to the right of the ashtray. It has a cap on it.

dave

Reply to
liteflyer 1

Sure enough, ny '96 F350 gas has a plug at the left rear of the engine compartment with a cap over it, marked "EEC TEST". So it's not OBD II :( Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B