oily spark plugs

I'm not sure what you mean by the above statement.

If you have to ask, then ...

Well, if you really want to bite into this project, then you can follow the procedures in the factory service manual. If you don't have one specific for your car, then you can get one from

If youdon't have one and don't wish to invest in what I consider to be a basictool for servicing your car, then you can follow some of the proceduresoutlined for other models available from
The manual for the'95-'97 Civic is pretty close. Here's the page for removal
and here's the page for installation
Some additional notes: the removal page does notdescribe it well but when it indicates to loosen the valve adjusting screwsI've found it best to loosen them to the point where the bottom of theadjusting screw is flush with the bottom of the rocker arm, furthermore, oninstallation ignore the information about the oil control orifice. On the'91 Civic this orifice is in the block between the block and cylinder head. Lastly, if you're willing to jump through the necessary hoops (you mustregister and provide a valid email address), then
has a manual available listed as beingfor an '88-'90 Civic. I haven't used this manual so I know nothing aboutthe quality of the information it it. Eric

Reply to
Eric

I meant should I go to a 91 Honda Civic manual and look up the procedure for removing the camshaft, rocker arms, etc., then come up with some steps of my own for getting at these seals.

Which is exactly what you ended up advising in your "response."

I checked Majestic's online parts site. I checked my 91 Civic's Chilton's manual. I did not find a "cam tower" listed in either. Nor do I see it listed in the pdf file url below from the UK site.

I know what a cam is. I know what a camshaft is. I suppose a "cam tower" is the whole assembly or its supports.

But please don't trouble yourself in answering a question from someone honest, trying to learn. That's not the purpose of newsgroups.

Corrupted; doesn't work.

I have a 91 Civic Chilton's manual (which I use a lot and duplicates much of Helm) that covers camshaft/rocker arms etc. removal and installation.

Thanks, and I promise to be a better teacher than you.

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:aoY0f.3404$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have the Helm manual for the '92-'95 Civic.

As near as I can tell, the D15B's camshaft is central to (and under) two rocker arms, which are held by castings bolted to the head. Honda calls these castings "cam holders". The rocker arms pass through these cam holders. These are the parts Eric is calling the "cam towers". They're held in place by three 8mm bolts.

The cam's holders have large holes in them at one end that the spark plugs pass through on their way to their threads in the head. Since the cam holders are bolted to the head, there is necessarily a seam where they meet, and thus the gasket in question.

There are six "cam holders". The middle four have the spark plug holes.

If you remove the bolts on all the cam holders, you will also release the rocker arms themselves. Essentially, to replace the gaskets under the cam holders, you need to unbolt and remove the cam holders. I can't tell from here, but it looks like you'd end up releasing the camshaft as well.

I've taken the liberty of extracting one page from my manual:

TeGGeR®

It worked for me and brought up

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote

Huh. Still doesn't work here at my computer.

No matter. Autozone's free repair guides and my Chilton's have it for my 91 Civic.

Thanks.

Reply to
Elle

Yes, the trick is to not remove the bolts, just undo them. Afterwards, remove the assembly complete with the bolts in place. The bolts will hold it together so that you don't wind up having to deal with individual rocker arms, shafts, and springs.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

It works on my computer using Mozilla 1.7.11 and Acrobat 4.

Reply to
Eric

Thanks for the intelligent explanation. It's making a lot more sense now, as follows:

The step-by-step 1991 Civic Chilton and Autozone written instructions call these "camshaft holders" but on the 1991 Civic drawing, they are called "bearing caps." They look exactly the same in the two drawings (the 1992's and the 1991's) but just use two different names, for some reason.

There are six "camshaft holders/bearing caps" altogether, with according to Majestic and like you say, three 8 mm bolts for the four middle "camshaft holders" (or "bearing caps"), and two bolts each for the end ones. I couldn't actually find the camshaft holders/bearing caps listed at Majestic's site, though I'm pretty sure a drawing of them appears under "cylinder head."

The instructions for removing the rocker arms/shafts likewise say to keep the "rocker arm bolts" in place to hold the assembly together.

Obviously once I get under the valve cover more of this will make sense, but I wanted to be prepared. I haven't messed much with things under there, apart from putting in the new camshaft seal yada last year and checking the valve lash once also about a year ago.

Thanks again. I hope to start on this before the end of the month and may post an update. I am pretty certain these lower spark plug tube gaskets are why a oil is accumulating in two or three of my 1991 Civic's spark plug tubes. It's not more than a tablespoon every six months, it seems, but I don't like it, and I want to keep the car... you know, "another five years."

"TeGGeR®" wrote

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:C021f.7469$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Another thing to keep in mind: Camshaft distortion.

If undoing the "cam holders" ends up releasing the camshaft as well, you'll have to be careful to undo the bolts evenly all around, to prevent uneven loading on the camshaft, which may bend it. Those valve springs are awfully strong.

Good luck.

As an aside, I notice the D15Z engine uses Toyota-like tubes set into the head for the spark plug wells, which would eliminate the problem the D15B has.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote

Okay. Given the subsequent installation torquing sequence for the "cam holders/bearing caps," I can see what you're gettin at.

Thanks.

For the 96-2000 Civics (which appear to use a D15Z engine), Majestic online parts site indeed does not show these gaskets (between cam holder and cylinder head). The tubes extend much further, so to speak, as you know but for the record.

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote

Oops. That should be "camSHAFT holders/bearing caps."

In case some newbie is reading the archives a few years from now...

Reply to
Elle

I have a 91 Accord with 200k miles on it. I had the same problem and got the gaskets changed more problem. Not sure of the cost because I also had other work done while it was in the shop. I would get the gaskets changed.

Daniel G

Reply to
daniel.gragg