Recommendations for spark plugs, wires?

Does anyone have any horror stories/recommendations for spark plug and spark plug wire brands? I'm currently thinking of NGK for plugs, Bougicord for wires. Good? Bad? Thanks!

Reply to
Edwin Sineath

For what car? Bougicord is OEM on many Volvo models, there's nothing wrong with them. I've also used Bosch wires and they were ok too. I had some really cheap wires once where the connectors ripped out of the sheath but otherwise I haven't found there to be much difference.

Reply to
James Sweet

this is an odd case where your Volvo dealer might be as cheap or cheaper than anyone else. freaks me out too! they will hand you Bosch. ngk's are something of a fetish for Volvo lovers. different plugs do different things. not by much but it all adds up. Bougicords are good for @ least ten yrs maybe more. of course Myst (my r) is held together from time to time w/ duct tape, bubble gum & twigs (translation 200mph tape, epoxy, & titanium.)

i would need to know the specific car & driving style/purpose to make a concrete recommendation. Myst has NGK Iridium's (her 2nd set) but she redlines on a regular basis.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

Reply to
Edwin Sineath

Here's another weird event that I've been living with for about 4 years, can't find an answer:

I changed the battery > >

Reply to
Edwin Sineath

go w/ the NGK Iridium's. they will last forever (100k+). you don't have ht ignition cables. so a) there is probably nothing wrong w/ the signal wires you have now, b) if you have a check engine light then it's probably a connection or coil. plug an OBDII reader in & give me the error codes. if your little (~1.700kg) sweetheart just needs a tune up. well tune ups have changed. it's no longer plugs, points, & condenser. you will need a torx wench to pop the plastic cap. then blow out the recesses w/ compressed air. pop the coils w/ the signal & power wires, one @ a time. r & r the plugs. the old electrodes should be light gray & less than .4 apart. if they look weird photograph & post. many here will know if something is wrong. if you need more you will have to wait. my ME is in Honduras. Myst needs a rebuild & she misses her uncle Geno. The Only person i will let mill her titanium.

as for driving style i was expecting something like schoolteacher, daredevil, nun. from the simple mileage i understand that you are fairly average. the only improvement that i can suggest is open her up once a week. short hops will kill an engine as surely as overextended hauls. she's like a horse, let her have her head every now & then.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

it sounds like an ECU problem. the mph to kph is particularly telling. i know that there is a way to fiddle w/ this on your vehicle. i just can't remember it because i just don't care. i live in the states & we speak French @ home. so i'm always confused, but well fed. changing the battery may have caused a power spike. i don't think you have a UPS before your ECU. Myst does, but i'm paranoid. an obvious way to solve the problem is to drop a new, well formatted, chip in, but i'm not very price sensitive. find a good Volvo electrician.

the speedo & the tach are on the same circuit. but if you are telling me straight, you have lost everything. this is bad news. from your last thread i can deduce that performance is not optimal. you won't get a check engine light or an error code. you're f*****!! your little girl is driving around w/ her brain missing. i'm not sure what is most cost effective. i would probably park & pull her brain. i have friends who could take over from there. r & r is always an option, probably $500+. finally seek help. some people love this sort of repair. it might be cheap (not a dealer).

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

*FOUR YEARS*?? Take it in to have it serviced, it's illegal to drive around without a speedometer.
Reply to
James Sweet

Where is it illegal? I've never been asked by a policeman if I have a working speedometer, nor does our state inspection check for a working speedometer. I'm curious as to where/how you got this notion. You must not live in the United States. I'm not going to spend $1000 to get my speedometer fixed, especially if it requires taking off the dash.

Reply to
Edwin Sineath

I am in the US, and a working speedometer is required equipment. You also lighting, windshield wipers, and likely other things but I lack a full list. I suppose you are not likely to get caught, but it is none the less illegal, not to mention just plain ghetto. I dunno where you'd go that it would cost $1K, removing the instrument cluster takes all of

20 minutes, a brand new speedometer would probably cost a few hundred, a working used one is $20-$100 at a salvage yard. There are companies that specialize in speedometer repair too, the problem is likely something very simple.
Reply to
James Sweet

After I saw Edwins post I searched the California vc and the word 'speedometer' appears nowhere.

Odometer, yes... Along with the other items you mentioned.

Reply to
clay

the law in CA is that you need to proceed @ a safe & legal speed. a calibrated speedo makes this easier. in fact my lady refers to the cruise control as my licence saver.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

NGK Iridium for plugs.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I've been using cheap NGK plugs in lots of Volvos for quite a few years now, never had any problems with them at all. Honestly the *only* spark plugs I've ever had problems with in any car were Bosch Platinums. IMHO the brand doesn't really matter, and fancy expensive spark plugs are snake oil.

Reply to
James Sweet

your 240 probably isn't a turbo your BMW probably is. the NGK Iridiums fire cold, but precise. this only works for an hpt. the T5 like my r is an hpt. i hope this clarifies. everybody is right, everybody is wrong -- as always.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

Reply to
Jon Robertson