OT: What the heck do they teach in college??

wrote:

me
that
maybe she grew up somewhere else.
well i remember it because the "e" is silent, and that was her way of making us remember to put it on there. and it wasn't plural. she said that not using the "e" was a colloquial (informal) spelling and would not be considered correct in her class. that was the first time i heard that word, as well.
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:41:53 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

On another planet? I had lotsa teachers like that. I'm only a couple of years older than you too. ;-)

She wuz wrong. It's amazing how much a bad teacher can screw you up, particularly a trusted one.
--
Keith

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:44:24 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

I grew up about 25mi south of Paxton and never had a patatoe or tomatoe. I've had lotsa potatoes and tomatoes, though.
--
Kieht

Maybe that's the source of the confusion - whether the plural is made by adding "s" or "es." One of my Spanish teachers taught us there is no such thing as a "tamale", that the singular of "tamales" is "tamal."
In a similar vein, "avocado" and "chipotle" are European adaptations of the Nahuatl words "avocatl" and "chipotl" because we seem to have problems ending words with "tl."
Mike

alternatives.
that
tomatoe.
that would be potatoe.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:35:47 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

I had a krappy tuping teechur too.
--
Keith

unacceptable).
me
typing has nothing to do with it. the letters are on the keyboard :)

So *that's* what they are there for! I thought it was the instructions for using the computer. Now I know what's wrong with my tyuioping.
Mike

keyboard
instructions for

yes. failure to notice the keys you've put your fingers on. of course, if you want to speed things up, take a typing course. :)

I fear I'd simply end up making mistakes faster. I'm thinking of creating a new language: "teh" and "hte" translate to the English "the." In an ideal world keyboards would have spell checkers built into them.
Mike Donuts make me smarter. After I've had a couple, I know I shouldn't have. That is obviously *way* more than I knew before.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:17:02 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

They're all there, sure. Often they don't come out in the rihgt sqeuneec thuogh. ;-)
--
Keith

tell
or
keyboard
then it's slow way down or take a typing class. although, many people seem to get some speed out of hunt and peck.
communism.

getting
total
from
but i bet she feels really good about herself.

Talked
the
her
friend
Where's

I was just kidding.

remark
i know.

College? That calculation should be nailed long before college.