WHAT THE HECK WILL PASS EMISSIONS???

i want ot get an aftermarlet exhaust for my stang and i emailed Bassani because im interested in the x-pipe and there cats but they said that they are NOT emissions legal.. can someone tell me what aftermarket set up is legal?

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Tom...

First of all, what car do you have? Last I heard, you were selling off the GT....

Second... find yourself a shop that doesn't really get to hung up on the visuals. The Bassani pipes won't pass a visual emissions inspection because all six of the stock cats (on a newer V8) have been removed and replaced with two high-flow cats. Technically, removing emissions components (including catalytic converters) is grounds for immediate failure below something like 100,000 miles if I remember correctly.

I've hung a MAC H-pipe w/cats on a two different 5.0L cars, one with 180,000 miles on the clock, put on a pair of fresh 02 sensors (the cars were due), and breezed through PA emissions both times. I highly doubt a newer car with less mileage, unless the computer or fuel/timing curves have been tampered with or extensive engine work was done, would fail emissions with the 2-cat H or X pipes available on the market. Realize that, on anything after 1995, you'll be required to get the rear O2 sensor eliminators as there's not a place for them on your new pipe.

They have to tell you they're not emissions legal because technically they're not, but you should still be able to get through PA emissions without any problems at all if you find a shop that doesn't care how many cats you have.

JS

Reply to
JS

Uh, kind of depends on what state you live in. As far as I know, there is no "federal" standard. BTW, no (nada, nil, ziltch) emissions tests here in the Sunshine State...

Yet another $.02 worth from the proud owner of a1970 Mustang Mach I 351C @

Grover C. McCoury III

I think the Bassani (at least mine) has two cats on the cat-back, and two on the x-pipe. Unless you buy the off road x-pipe with no cats.

I have 4 of 6, so I hope to pass the test when it is due.

I kept the original pipes, so in the worst case, I can always put the old ones back on.

Also, in my state (CA) you don't have to smog a new car for 4 years, so for me that is three years away.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

It is a federal law that prohibits removing or tampering with emissions equipment. It applies to all emissions controlled vehicles in all states.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

My experience is that they won't even look at your car if it PASSES the emissions test. If it doesn't they still may not look. If they do and an inspector is knowledgeable, he may detect that you have 2 cats instead of 4 or 6. But even an idiot inspector can tell if you dont have any.

BTW, the reason for multiple cats is that smaller cats heat up more quickly and cut down emissions during warmup. If you are running high flow cats, be sure they are fully warmed up before testing.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

But it can be replaced if the car has over X miles on it or the equipment is malfunctioning or damaged. And aftermarket parts are allowed to fill this need.

Reply to
Brent P

Of course it a toothless law since most of the country has done away with inspections, whether emissions or safety, due to the corruption in the process.

My '66 coupe passes emissions tests in Atlanta, I would think that most any well tuned, well maintained car would pass emissions testing, in most areas of the country.

Reply to
Mustang_66

To further qualify my statement, my point was that there is no federally mandated EMISSIONS TESTING STANDARDS.

Yet another $.02 worth from the proud owner of a1970 Mustang Mach I 351C @

Grover C. McCoury III

Yes, there are Federal Emissions Test Standards, but the states have chossen to right there own ! Most states follow the standards, but when its time for the visual part, almost anything can fail if its not O.E.M as it left the Ford Factory.

Good luck

Reply to
sinan turel