PCV Valve Question - '95 Civic EX

I got an oil & filter change today, along with the air filter, and since I have a new (non-OEM) PCV valve on hand, I decided to check the existing one. It *looks* pretty new, but I'm not sure it always clicks when I squeeze the breather hose. The engine makes enough noise to make me uncertain. The idle does drop every time I squeeze that hose, though. Any idea if this proves the valve is ok or not?

Reply to
mjc1

what mileage?

if in doubt, replace. but not with anything other than oem for pcv valves - the after-market stuff can be abysmal.

Reply to
jim beam

141k miles. This one was *probably* installed at 94k miles, although it looks newer than that. So what's worse, a sticky OEM valve (if this is - it's blue) or a properly functioning aftermarket cheapo valve? Can I test the new valve before installing it? I can get OEM, but not right away.
Reply to
mjc1

in my experience, aftermarket on things like this often don't work well even when new. i'd stick with the old one in preference.

Reply to
jim beam

You can try cleaning the old one out with some carb clean.

Eric

Reply to
Eric