plz advice me to buy a HONDA

Hello, a guy is selling a 1997 Honda Accord LX with milage is 100,000 miles. Can you please tell me "1997" model means that car was made in

1997? I heard that since 1998, Honda has changed the shape and model of ACCORD , is that correct? I check on KBB and see price of that car is around 4700 USD for a good condition (private party). Can you please tell me how much is reasonable for me to buy it? The guy requires 5100 USD . I want to go with this deal since I don't want to buy a car from a dealer, they always ask ver high prices. My budget is around 5000 to 6000 bucks, should I go with this deal or wait for awhile for someone to sell a newer one . Actually I prefer a new shape like a 1999 Honda Accord.

Thanks

Reply to
VijaKhara

In autotrader.com I saw a 98 Accord with 78,000 miles for 6,000 so take your time and find the car with the lowest mileage. IMO the next best option would be to lease a newer model such as a 2002, etc.

Reply to
Alan

Use

in addition to kbb.com . Edmunds gives private party, used car retail prices and is pretty exacting on other details, too.

Remember that sellers often have an asking price and are willing to come down to what may be a more fair price.

Drive the car for at least half an hour. Check the level of the radiator coolant in the reservoir before driving it. Check it afterwards. The biggest problem this newsgroup sees upon purchase of a new car is a blown head gasket.

Also, try to get as much maintenance history as possible on any car you buy used. In particular, find out and get documentation for the last time the timing belt was changed on this car.

Reply to
Elle

Thank u very much. Regarding the body shape of the model, I heard that since model 1998, HONDA changed a lot in the shape body of ACCORD? and now a HONDA ACCORD 1999 and after looks much better than the older model? is it right?

Thanks

Reply to
VijaKhara

Could be... it also could be if your into heffers or not.

Reply to
Alan

You are worrying too much about looks and not enough about the mechanics like water in the oil, worn out tires, timing belt replaced, steering and suspension tight, exhaust system rusted out, etc. All these could cost you thousands in the first year after you buy the car.

Reply to
Woody