Prestone's Extended Life coolant is a big NO-NO for my '98 CRV?

I was always under the assumption that it was fine for Hondas but now I'm reading that it can cause the water pump seals to fail prematurely.

I've had in there since last June when I replaced the timing belt,tensioner pulley, & water pump and also backflushed the cooling system( I also removed the engine drain bolt). I'm now seriously thinking about replacing it with Honda's coolant on Monday since I don't want to take any chances.

Any ideas on what Honda is asking for their coolant? $8-$10?

Thanks!

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com

twfsa

"Headknocker via CarKB.com" wrote in news:5fda9c5de3f21@uwe:

In Canada, I just paid $15.18 per jug for two gallon jugs. That's $13.74 US at the current exchange rate.

And the stuff's such a pretty blue color...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks for the replies. It's blue? I don't remember the factory stuff in my '98 CRV being blue. Did they change the formula or something?

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com

"Headknocker via CarKB.com" wrote in news:5fe11ca1b35b4@uwe:

Yes.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Well, I swapped out the Prestone coolant today and replaced it with Honda's formula. I didn't know it was a 50/50 premixed solution so I had to buy two gallons of the stuff.....at $13.50/gal ! It must be liquid gold....damn!

Oh well, I will only need to buy one the next time(4-5 years down the road) since I have around 2/3 of a gallon left over.

Blue coolant...kinda unique :)

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com

"Headknocker via CarKB.com" wrote in news:600dd0d866207@uwe:

Don't keep that leftover antifreeze. It will go bad just sitting around for four years. Seriously.

Yeah, nobody else uses blue antifreeze, do they?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I think Volvo also dyes their's blue. Probably a different formulation though.

John

Reply to
John Horner