Problem: Can't Turn-Off Alarm

Help!!!! Can't fix alarm problem on '90 Accord EX. Car's in excellent condition, other than the alarm problem. Here's what happened.

First, the car's battery went dead. Battery was old and needed to be replaced (Not faulty or drained due to short). Put new battery in and the car's alarm immediately triggered when I connected the battery terminals. Alarm kept blasting, so I then disconnected negative terminal, which of course stopped the alarm.

I then turned off what I think maybe the alarm's on/off interior dashboard switch (Not sure since I bought the car used and the alarm's an aftermarket alarm, not a Honda OEM alarm, and the switch isn't labeled.) After that, I tried reconnecting the negative terminal and, you guessed it, the alarm started blasting again.

To make a long story short, after trying a couple of other things to no avail, I decided to snip the alarm's wire, which is located on the car's motor-side firewall. That worked of course, but then, strangely, the car's battery began to slowly loose its charge over the following few weeks. I then recharged and tested the battery, and it tested good. This morning I put the battery back in the car, touched the alarm's wire together and the alarm, of course, immediately started blasting again.

Do any of you mechanics in the group have any ideas whatsoever that might help me solve the car's alarm problem. Would pulling the alarm's fuse/breaker help! (Not sure where it's located or if it's tied into another part of the car's electrical system.) I'm at wits end and have no idea what to try next.

Incidentally, I'm not much of a mechanic so try to keep any ideas you might have at the first grade level or, better yet, at the kindergarten level. Thanks!!!!

Reply to
Jim Pflaum

You mentioned that that you have an aftermarket (non-Honda) alarm. I suggest that you call the company that made the alarm and ask them how to turn off the alarm. You may be able to call the local companies that sell car alarms to see if any of them sell that type of alarm--if so, ask the owner how to reset the alarm. If they don't know--visit the business and read the instuctions in the manual. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Put in earplugs and reconnect the alarm. Then try to silence it by operating the remote to unlock the door. If still blaring, try to lock/unlock a time or two.

I think all the alarms go off when the battery is reconnected, probably so a thief can't defeat the system by killing the power and reconnecting it.

If all else fails, sign up at

to get advice from alarm experts.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Jason, unfortunately, the name of the alarm's manufacture isn't on the alarm's horn or anywhere else I could find. As you suggested, if I can't get a fix for the problem online anywhere, I guess I'll have to call one of local alarm installation retailers Monday morning. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Jim Pflaum

Michael, I don't have the alarm's remote. I bought the car used and the guy I bought the car from said he'd lost the remote and never used the alarm. I never used it either and thought the alarm disconnected until it started blaring when I replaced the car's battery.

I've tried everything, so I think I'll see if I can get some problem fix tips from the site you suggested (

Thanks for your reply, Michael!

Reply to
Jim Pflaum

Hope it helps! My son bought an aftermarket (Viper?) alarm about a year ago and it had to be programmed to recognize the remotes that came with it. You may be able to buy a remote or two and program those in - the good guys at the12volt.com should be able to help you.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

99 times out of 100, the alarm "brain box" will be a black box under the drivers side dash. MANY of them are in the neighborhood of 1/5" thick, 4"x6" in size. If you find that, and assuming it's the typical lazy installation (ignition kill not actually hooked up correctly) you can just remove the fuse from the RED wire feeding the brain box. Also look for a fuse on a yellow or orange wire.

Once you locate the brain box, you will also have the make and model and can get better advice and where to buy remotes form there.

Reply to
Seth

Mike, thanks for the tip about posting a query on

Did just that after I read your reply and some named Blake passed along a fix that worked. For anybody that experiences the same alarm problem I experienced, here's Blake's fix:

"To turn the alarm of with the switch,the key has to be turned to the on position(right before turn it all the way to start).If you flipped it without power being applied to the system you did nothing.This is so that a thief can't just hop in and flip the switch which would make the system useless.You can also try and find the fused line and pull the fuses.Depending on how the system was installed,you may need to take the dash apart to find it.The purpose of a great install is to make the alarm undefeatable and make a thief give up."

Thanks again, Mike!

Reply to
Jim Pflaum

Seth, thanks to you too. Got the alarm problem fixed (see my reply to Mike's post), but I think I might just disconnect the alarm altogether by using your suggestion. Thanks!

Reply to
Jim Pflaum

Jim, If you want a car alarm in your car, you should consider taking the car to a local business that sells car alarms. Have them remove the car alarm and install another one. Make sure you keep the manual and if possible buy two extra remotes in case someone looses one or more of them. Of course, if you can buy a remote that works with your present alarm--that would be the best solution. Some of the other posters provided excellent advice. Please let us know what you do to solve the problem. Jason

Reply to
Jason

And thanks a million for posting the resolution. The next guy will have an easier time of it, and that could be me!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Jim Pflaum" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I'd want an alarm that I had the remotes.(and documentation)

Reply to
Jim Yanik