Re: Wrong VIN on the car ?

> My 1999 Accord has the VIN 1HGCG1650WA5001 It is an American made Honda

>> but bought in Uruguay (South America). >> >> In any American Honda page that asks for the VIN number I get as answer >> that it is a non valid VIN. At the Honda Transmission Settlement page it >> responds the same. >> >> Why is that if the car has been made in the USA? >> >> Thanks for any help and regards, Harry > > > > Because where it's made has nothing to do with the VIN. The VIN is > specially constructed only for your market. > > There are VIN constructions unique to Europe, Asia, North America, and I'm > sure Africa as well.

Shoot! Between US and Canada as well!

I go to get parts for my Supra and they look at me and say, No such car!

I explain it's Canadian, and then they access a different system, and SOMETIMES it shows up!

Reply to
Hachiroku

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:u1pmi.4160$225.913@trndny03:

That too, yes. But on Hondas it's usually just one digit reserved for telling a Canadian car over a US one. Otherwise the VINs are identical.

In other markets, the VIN digits can mean totally different things, and the VIN is of different lengths.

Also, the VIN number in some markets is in a different place on the car from the US/Canadian one.

The Honda system in the US is able to decode Canadian VINs and locate the correct parts.

I do believe the Canadian system can do US VINs as well, but I'd have to check.

Reply to
Tegger