service light

Hello all, my wife noted yesterday that the yellow colored light for the service maintenance light flash's for about 10 seconds on start up- it does go off and stays off. I do not drive it so I don't know if that is a usual way for Honda to make their light work. Minivan runs fine, can not seem to fell any problems.

TIA, Dave-

Reply to
Xanth

If you could read the fine operator manual you would probably find that is normal........

Reply to
Woody

Please tell me you can read the owner's manual.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Xanth" wrote in news:Nch_e.85464$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

You have not given the year of your minivan, nor given any indication how long you've owned it, nor whether this phenomenon is recent.

TeGGeR®

what if he doesnt have the manual? i dont have my manual for my accord and the maintenence light is sitting on red, which is bad im sure but i dont have money to go to a dealer and say hey tell me whats wrong, charge me 50 bucks to tell me there is nothing wrong with my car and the light is just lit up for no reason! The most i can tell is that my car has an exhaust leak and i dont know if thats one of the things that would light that up...

Reply to
bwstuart

Then he (and you) should purchase a manual or even more affordable call the dealer and ask the question. Or, he and you could just look in the newsgroup for the same question that is asked every couple of days.

On a side note, if you're driving a vehicle with an exhaust leak, have it repaired before it causes you some health problems.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

In that version of Accord (I also have a '93), the maintenance indicator (green/yellow/red) only indicates that the car is due for an oil change. I forget what its mileage criteria is, but if you have had an oil change recently, the indicator was probably not reset. It does not indicate that something else is wrong with the car.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I recently converted to the "get a manual" camp. I started driving in the olden days when there wasn't really much difference from one car to another and generic advice worked fine. That isn't true now, and anybody who does not have or does not read the owner's manual for the specific car they have is destined for trouble.

If you had a manual you would know what the indicator is trying to tell you and if you are setting yourself up for serious trouble if you don't do something. From what you describe it sounds like the car is trying to tell you it's time for an oil change, but the Fine Manual is a better authority than I am on your car. (If it is time for an oil change, don't put it off. This could happen to you!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

---------------------------------

Um, why not go to the dealer and give them $20 for the manual, and then you'd have all the answers at your fingertips? The light _is_ lit up for no reason, other than to remind you that X-thousand miles have elapsed since somebody last reset the light (possibly when MAINTENANCE was performed). It's the Maintenance Reminder Light.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Boy, I remember the good old days when a question was answered and there were no snobs with quick a$$ remarks.

As I stated I do not drive the minivan (2003 for those of you who asked) and when I get home at night its the last thing on my mind after dinner and putting the kids to sleep to go outside and pull out the manual and read.

I was just looking for a quick answer for someone who would have been nice enough to say its "probably a maintenance reminder for an oil change or the reset was not preformed" that's all.

The problem was the reset switch for the oil change, a small oversight on my mechanics side, I have had several done and you can not always remember to do everything when your shop has 15 or so cars being worked on at once.

I guess I leave the NG's for those of you who are just way to smart for me and most of the other user's out on the net. I stick with the alt.binaries.music.xx where no one asks questions.

Dave-

Reply to
Xanth

Bring the Owners Manual in from the vehicle and read it without having to go outside.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Boy, I remember the good old days when people didn't come here to get quotes from the owner's manual spoon-fed to them because they were too lazy to go read the silly thing.

Or to do a quick Google search.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yeah, it's such a far walk to the van--it's MUCH easier to sit your ass down at the computer and simply type away, knowing that the odds are great that you'll be spoon-fed the information you know is in the owner's manual, just so you can avoid that grueling 30 foot walk to the garage.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty