Tail Pipe Soot - 2001 Prelude

Is it common to have tail pipe soot on newer Preludes?

I just purchased a 2001 Prelude SH with 31K miles and I think this tail pipe soot I am seeing is excessive.

Please pass on your comments after seeing:

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Sooty Tailpipe

Thanks Scott! Yes very low mileage and it looks brand new everywhere accept the tail pipe.

I talked to a Honda Mechanic and he said this is normal for Hondas. The second owner bought this car from the original ower with only 8000 miles on it in late 2004. The original owner only drove on weekends.

Now I am looking at every car make on the road and I see no soot on the majority of the cars, even the Chryslers. I have to be careful as to not rear end the cars! :)

The previous owner was putting a ton of highway miles on it recently. Drove from Washington State to Arizona a few times.

It runs sweet! Just over concerned about the black sooty tail pipe. I do not think this is right. I am going to throw Mobile 1 in it as soon as I get a chance.

Jim

Reply to
Sooty Tailpipe

That sucks!

I always thought that Honda made the cleanest running engines! I was even telling friends that I thought Honda was a higher quality engine then a Toyota, because I have never seen a Honda with worn out valve guide seals.

Is this a low quality issue? I can see this happening with a Chrysler but not a Honda!

Does this make you upset? After 140K I bet you have got over it.

Is the 98 Prelude burning oil? How is it driving?

Reply to
Sooty Tailpipe

Check the rubber tubing that goes from your breather chamber to the PCV valve. If the inside is deteriorated there's a chance the soot you see in the exhaust is degraded rubber tube material.

Reply to
precambrian

Thanks tww!

I just joined: