Transmission Activity

jeepers, engage brain before opening mouth will ya? if it had that kind of autonomy, it wouldn't even need a steering wheel!!! way you talk, having 1930's style manual ignition timing controls in the middle of the steering wheel are the way to go too.

Reply to
jim beam

I don't expect anywhere near that level of autonomy in the foreseeable future. Nor am I looking for it. I like to drive the car.

I am hardly a Luddite. I like technology when it is well applied. My first Honda had a manual choke. It was fun, but I never hesitated to exchange it for an automatic choke and later FI. These systems manage the engine so that it gives me what I want as a driver; smooth, predictable throttle response. That increases my control over the power.

I remember being in 3rd grade (1964) and reading how in the future (by the year 2000?) you would just hop in the back seat of the car and tell it where you wanted to go. I hope they have that perfected by the time I am too old to drive. Until then, I have no use for it. And as long as I am driving, there are certain things I want to control. If new technology increases my control, I am all for it. If it makes driving easier while decreasing driver control, I have no interest in it and I resent having to pay for it. That is how I feel about every AT I have ever driven. I is the fundamental way in which they work which I object to. Refining that operation does not address my primary objection.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew