Which one is more snow worthy?

Cause people like to spend more than necessary on gas and repairs?

I have 258,xxx miles on my Accord with under $600 in "unscheduled" repairs (not owners manual maintenance schedule stuff) and $x amount in gas. Bet you both of those numbers would have been considerably higher if I had a

4WD/AWD vehicle.
Reply to
Seth

It is definitely a concept geared toward performance.

That's not necessarily true, around here (given the mindset of the officer at the time) a ticket can and has been issued for just being slightly (less than ten miles an hour) over the posted maximum. Which is fine by me, after all the *Posted Maximum* is the Maximum allowed by law and anyone exceeding that limit is breaking the law.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I have made the same observation in my travels and it doesn't have to be in the winter, some people drive like idiots all year long even in heavy rain where you can't see more than a vehicle length in front of your vehicle.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I drive a lot year round, including winter, and I see the exact same thing. I've seen it more and more over the last five years, though. Dunno why.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You know I read your post and said impossible or very lucky. Then I went and checked my records on my 1998 Accord 4cyl, 5 speed. When you break it down into unscheduled repairs, I've only had two. A fuel relay replacement and a new starter for a total under $400. I was surprised. It's got 220k now and the total costs of scheduled repairs is approaching $8,500 over the lifetime of the car. Still the best car I ever owned! Just anecdotal, but my wife has a 97 Outback w/ AWD. Mileage is 104k, less than half mine and her total unscheduled repairs are $1500 and the total repairs including that is $5,700.

Reply to
Joe J

Excellent vehicle! I have one that is approaching being ten years old in December, working just like new and very few dollars spent on repairs over its life.

Reply to
Brian Smith
*Why?* is an excellent question. I believe the answer is that people who don't know very much listen to the media hype and advertising copy and make purchases based on what they are told in commercials, as to what *they* need to own and drive. In reality when a person purchases an AWD or 4WD vehicle they are making a purchase that is going to cost them more money throughout the ownership period of that vehicle. More gas needs to be bought (heavier vehicles use more fuel to move them), more maintenance expenses (more moving parts require more care). >>

Well thank you for the information. I'm a very cautious driver and very rarely exceed the speed limit even in ideal weather conditions. In my area there is a lot of snow in the winter and getting 8-12" of snow in a storm is not uncommon. They plow the roads, but not in time for the work commute, more like 2pm in the afternoon. Going to work late is not an option for me. I need to get to work on time and I also need to get home to my family even when the road was plowed but the snow blew back onto the roads during high wind conditions. I don't know how everyone's road conditions are, but my area is moderate to heavy snow, high gale winds, dimly lit streets, hills, and icy bad plowed road conditions. My area is very hilly and that makes for difficult snow driving especially when you stop at a red light at the base or in the middle of a hill that you have to continue to go up while in snow. We also have very heavy rains in the spring, sometimes with street flooding and mud.

By the way I have a cousin who has a Hyundai Santa Fe which was bought with the Front Wheel Drive only. He said it was always horrible in the snow, and he got stuck many times with it. His sister has a Subaru Forester and she said her car was great in the snow and she never had any problems in the snow like her brother had with the Santa Fe. Same snow conditions, but big difference in ability. I'm inclined to believe that 4WD is better in snow that 2WD, but once I have a chance to see how it drives I will report it.

Thanks so much,

Jill

Reply to
Jill

By the way in which you describe the area that you reside in, it sounds as if you need to move away from the Clampett mansion in the hills and closer to civilization. :^) Seriously though, If your roads are not being taken care of earlier in the day, you need to talk to your government representative(s) and have them take the initiative and look after their citizens' needs better.

How long did he keep the Santa Fe? Did he get rid of it after finding that he wasn't able to drive it through snow?

The more you go on, the more you sound like a troll, just tormenting the sensible people here with your *stories*.

Reply to
Brian Smith

An Accord with good tires will handle that with aplomb.

You've succumbed to the marketing people and their panic method of marketing.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

On identical tires, driving four wheels can give different results than driving only two wheels.

Driving two wheels on dedicated winter tires in the snow is VASTLY superior to driving all four wheels that are not using dedicated winter tires.

BTW, there's a huge difference between 4WD and AWD. Your CRV is AWD.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Hell, I used to drive through 10" snowfalls without hesitation in my old '76 Honda Civic back in RI in the late 1970's/1980's. It's all about being competent in what you do.

But now that I'm down south, I have no desire whatsoever to go back during the cold season...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I loved my gen 1 Civics. They would go everywhere, do everything--at least, once you got the choke unstuck.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I'll see your Atlantic Canada winter and raise you a Manitoba winter.

Reply to
Iowna Uass

I'll see the Atlantic Canada winter and the Manitoba winter with Colorado Rocky Mountain black-ice, and raise with an 'Old Fashion Texas Ice Storm'. Remember... the only thing they use salt on, in those two states, is food.

Be careful now... I just might have a 'Donner Pass - Chains Required' in my back pocket!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

LOL! Hello Winterpeg! ;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

Okay first off...

I am not a troll. I do have a cousin who has a 1999 Hyundai Santa Fe

2WD, and he bought it new and still has it. He is too thrifty to buy a new car, but hates that its bad in the snow. His sister (who is also my cousin) has an AWD Subaru Forester which is about the same year as his Santa Fe. Her car is great in the snow. I'm just going by what they are telling me. They live about 3 miles from me and are in the same areas for snow.

Second if this is just marketing then can't Honda get in trouble for putting "4WD" on the back door of the CRV's?

I guess Honda Pilot's are AWD also? They are automatic systems like the CRV I am told.

As far as the roads go...good luck getting a better resolution. Our whole state is practically bankrupt. Now with the tax going up I really doubt better plowed roads is going to happen.

Jill

Reply to
Jill

I don't remember a manual choke on the CVVC but do so on the 1200.

I never had carb issues and I drove it to about 160K when it began rusting out from under me... Still was mechanically excellent.

Owning a Gen I (1976) is what drove me to consider a Gen II when gas prices started to climb about six years ago. Imagine, the Gen II is longer, wider, still handles the same and gets even better gas mileage.

And here in Texas, rust is a lesser issue...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Nope... They've discovered "chemicals" here in TX and the only saving grace, (in the Austin area), such weather is a rarity.

Probably the worst place to be is in places like Buffalo, NY where "lake effects" snows occur almost continuously all winter.

I don't miss any snow whatsoever but love to look at it on TV...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I've been in western NY in the winter. They know how to take care of the roads up there. It's not such a big deal.

Although, sometimes mother nature does overwhelm thing--at which point, you just stay home.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

He doesn't have proper tires on it.

He'd be amazed at what happens when he puts winter tires on it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty