01 Accent problem

I have a '01 Accent. Several times whilst in warranty I found that the car would stall while idling, 'hiccup' whilst cruising on the freeway and jump and fart whenever I demanded a little performance from it (by performance I simply mean overtaking or moving off from a red light).

Each time I took it to the service agent they would either replace the ignition leads/spark plugs or something called a Charcoal Filter. Their advice to me was to not completely fill the fuel tank? Not real useful when most of my long distance travelling is done at night with no fuel stations open for over 500 Km's of my journey (Australia).

Shortly before running out of warranty it started playing up real bad and I took it into a dealer in the ACT and they diagnosed a faulty Oxygen Sensor. Since they couldn't get the vehicle in straight away and I had to make another long trip that weekend, they supplied me with the part and I made a booking with my local service agent back home. By the time I got there the vehicle had run out of warrantly (over 130,000 Km's) but since the problem had been diagnosed whilst under warranty they still fitted the part.

Shortly after I found that the repair had not rectified the fault, and now any expenses were on my back. Since then I have had the vehicle back in and had another Charcoal Filter fitted (it would be the sixth or so) and also a 'Two Way Valve'.

I now find myself thinking two things. 1 - Shouldn't the dealer have tried to figure out why the vehicle constantly chews through these Charcoal Filter things and fixed the problem, not just the symptom, and 2 - How much money should I keep pouring into the car before I throw in the towel? It would appear that the 'warranty' solution is to fix the sympton (the cheaper option) until the warranty runs out and then miraculously discover the reason for the symptom appearing and tell me how much it is going to cost me. The car is in the workshop as I type so I am sure I will get some great news this afternoon.

Anybody else had a simillar problem?

Reply to
Stu

Since the problem occurred while the vehicle was under warranty and you have the receipts to prove it, the repair should still be covered. I had a similar situation (different problem) and Hyundai agreed to cover it under warranty. DO NOT pay for it. If the dealer won't service the car under warranty, contact Hyundai directly and explain to them that this is an ongoing problem that has never been rectified. Be polite, but firm and I'll bet that they'll agree to cover it. If not, I would take it up with your state office of consumer protection, as such a situation is clearly unacceptable.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

A faulty charcoal filter won't cause the vehicle to stall, so it's debatable whether the problems are related in the first place. Is your car still stalling? If so, that should be addressed. Replacing the charcoal filter won't address that.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"Stu" wrote in news:42e6f603 snipped-for-privacy@news.iprimus.com.au:

do you have OBD 2? then check for a code check for free movment of the air mas sensor

Reply to
ant hill mob

ant hill mob wrote in news:Xns96A0E5EF0BE92anthillmob@

130.81.64.196:

@news.iprimus.com.au:

bad throttle pos sensor

Reply to
ant hill mob

Problem solved. I hit a wombat at around 0230 on Wednesday morning in the middle of nowhere 35 K's north of Cann River, Victoria.

Lovely night for a walk however!!!

Reply to
Stu

**Well, Stu, when I got up this morning I was almost positive that I would never read the words "I hit a wombat." :)

Is the car trashed completely? What would you replace it with?

kaboomie

RIP Wombat

Reply to
kaboom