02 Elantra wire corrosion

Hi all, It seems like my Elantra has corroded wires that go from the drivers side door to the body. You would think that this would be a recall....

My power windows and door locks don't work and all the fuses are fine, just FYI for anyone who has not heard of this problem.

Anyway, i want to know if anyone has had to deal with this problem out of warranty? Is there anything i should be aware of before i start?

TIA, Frank

Reply to
Frank & Sharon

What caused the corrosion? If the insulation cracked or there are defective connectors, I would think that would be covered under warranty.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I've done a few of these electrical repairs under warranty. Be sure to check TSB 03-90-009 on this repair if you're going to attempt this yourself. It's fairly detailed and has lots of pictures. It also lists the part numbers you'll need. If you need to figure out whether you have ETACS, the only way I've found is that if you have keyless entry, you have ETACS, and if you don't, you don't. If you don't know if you have keyless, check for a siren mounted on or near the left front strut tower. A siren indicates keyless.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm guessing he's outside the warranty period.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
DanMan

From what i'm being told, this is a known issue with the Elantra's. Apparently they didn't seal the area correctly and water gets inside the wiring connectors and that's when the corrosion starts. Living in PA and working in New York, my vehicles see tons of salt during the winter months which did not help the matter at all. And of course, the wiring crapped out at 106K miles. And even if it crapped out during the warranty, the dealership in Vestal NY would probably would have a way to not do the work anyway. I love my Elantra. It's fun to drive and it gets GREAT gas mileage, but i would NEVER buy a car from that dealership in Vestal NY again. Word of mouth is the best advertising and i plan to use this form of advertising for the Vestal dealership to its fullest. I have actually gone up to complete strangers that i see driving Elantras and told them about this wiring problem and recommended that they call the dealership and try to see what they could do to get this resolved before the warranty runs out.

BTW, wish me luck, i am going to try and do the repair myself today......

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Reply to
Frank & Sharon