After Market Keyless Entry For 2000 Elantra

I have a 2000 Elantra GLS with factory installed electric door locks. Can an after market keyless entry system be installed on this auto?

If yes;

- Does it affect the warranty?

- Does it affect any wiring, i.e. cutting shields, etc?

If no;

- Why not?

TIA

Reply to
TC

It should be simple to install aftermarket keyless in this car, since it already has power locks.

Any failures caused by the installation or operation of the keyless system won't be covered by your factory warranty, but that's either expired or soon to expire on a 2000.

The keyless module will need power and ground and will need to tap into the power lock system.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I have a Four door 2001 Elantra with similar door locks. Just out of curiosity does the power lock only open all the doors from the driver's door? And the front passenger door lock just open only the passenger door? On my old Mitsubish Galant opening either the front door locks unlocked all the doors.

Reply to
irwell

I haven't experimented with this to see, but from what I can make of the schematics:

If you have the factory keyless entry system, either front door will lock/unlock all doors. This is especially unclear because the ETACS module receives separate ground input from each front door when it's locked, but receives a ground signal if any of the rear doors is locked.

If you don't have the factory keyless system, only the left front will lock/unlock all doors.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Mine is 4 door, also. Door locks can only be unlocked(and locked), electrically, from the driver;s door.

Reply to
TC

I just tried one with keyless entry, and the doors lock/unlock if either is operated.

From the looks of the schematic, it's impossible for models without keyless entry to operate that way. For them, it would be driver's door only.

Reply to
hyundaitech

But on my 2000 Sonata, all the door locks are controlled in unison from only the front passenger lock. In other words, unlocking the front passenger door with the key or with the inside tab switch unlocks all the doors on the car; the driver's door switch does not. This seemed odd to me at first, but when I really thought this through, I realized that this logic is brilliant. If you think real good, you'll get it also.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld