1998 Coupe 2.0 misfire

I have a 1998 2.0 se coupe. It has develoed a bad misfire when cold although it starts and idles fine. Once warm it improves a bit, but if I stop & turn off roe a few minutes it seems to run ok afterwards. Any ideas?

Reply to
LaurieB

When was the last time it had a basic tune up?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hi Mike It had a service a couple of thousand miles ago. It was doing it before the service, but I decided not to pay the extra to have the mechanic investigate the problem. Laurie

Reply to
LaurieB

So... what do you mean by "a service"? It seems by your statement that the service was not in address of this problem. What you describe sounds like a problem that should first be addressed by a basic tune up.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You'll want to start by checking your secondary ignition components (plugs, wires, coil).

Reply to
hyundaitech

What kind of "service". An oil change? If it was truly serviced, they would have investigated the problem. Could be a lot of things. Spark plugs, wires, coils, ignition module. I'd start with new plugs and wires. It is easy to break a wire internally when changing plugs so eliminate that possibility. (plus, they seem to leak and ground out after five or six years).

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski