1998 Elantra Manual Door Locked

Hello, The passenger side door of my 98 Elantra Wagon is locked and won't open. The handle seems to have disconnected. I have the keys, but they only turn the lock. I can get into the car on the driver's side but can't open the passenger door from the inside either. I am trying to get the door unlocked so I can take the door panel off and have a look, but am having some trouble. Any tips?

I have a Car Door Lock Out Tool (Slim Jim) but am not having any luck. Please save me a trip to the dealer (since my warranty has expired and I don't want to pay $75 for a spring). What should I do to fix my manual door lock?

Reply to
netwunders

You may get some ideas here.

irwell

There's probably something broken in the door latch. To get the door open, you'll need to get something down into the door and release the latch. This will be difficult and may require destroying the door trim panel.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Manual door locks - look at the subject line.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I did, did you have a look at the site, not just for power door locks.

Reply to
irwell

My bad I guess. I did look at the web site, saw the power lock section and actually scrolled down through it some, but apparently did not look down through it far enough.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Know anyone at a body shop? They seem to know how to get into door panels. May be worth stopping at one and asking.

A co-worker had a similar problem, but since it was an old car near the end of its life, they merely cut the door panel open. Own a Sawzall?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As a last resort Working inside remove the passange seat you should then be able to get the door panel off

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Thanks, but I don't think that will help in this situation. On my 1998 Hyundai Elantra Wagon, the door panel screws are hidden by the door moulding and dashboard. Again.. thanks.

Reply to
netwunders

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I don't own a Sawzall, and I really do need a friend at a bodyshop. After two weeks of driving around without any front seat passengers... I'm thinking the Sawzall is the way to go. I even opened up the driver side door to see how it all is supposed to work. And, unfortunatley, it look like there's no way to unlock the door using the slim jim.

I hate to hack into my door panel but here goes...

Reply to
netwunders

After reading all the tips below, here's the Update. After removing the driver's side door panel and seing how it all worked, I bought a small saw with a metal sawzall blade and made a hole in my passenger door panel just above the arm rest and large enough to fit my hand and arm. I reached in and flipped a latch on the bottom of the door lock mechanism. I was able to open the door and then remove the panel. I found two halves of a rusty one-inch spring in the bottom of the door. The dealer wanted $250 to replace the whole mechanism. After buying a spring on ebay, I replaced the spring which stretched across the top of the lock mechinism. The door worked. I duct taped the piece of panel back into place and put the door panel back on. It cost me $15 for the saw and springs. The interior panel is not perfect, but... hey... it's working.

Reply to
netwunders