2000 Accent MAF problems

Why would the MAF sensor fail about every six months? What could cause this? I've checked the wiring, connectors and everything else I can think of. It does not look oily or dirty. On number three and it's out after six months. Number two lasted two months, thought it was just a bad one. When number one first started showing signs of failure we cleaned it, and it seemed OK for a while. Then CEL came on and were still at it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Contamination is typically the only thing that will "cause" an air flow sensor to fail. If it isn't the CEL that is the "sign of failure," what are the signs of failure that make you think the air flow sensor is having a problem?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry. It sets the CEL and shows a P1128 code. If I reset it, comes back on in a day or two.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

While the air flow sensor is the leading cause of this code, it's important to check to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks and that there are no leaks between the air flow sensor and the throttle body.

The P1128 code simply means that the ECM has to hold the injectors open longer than it thinks it should to achieve proper mixture. Possible causes would be:

  1. Vacuum leak (especially in PCV hose)
  2. Air bellows not secure on air flow sensor or throttle body
  3. Air bellows broken or otherwise leaking
  4. Improper oxygen sensor readings
  5. Low fuel pressure (very rare)'
  6. Improper air flow sensor readings.

If you haven't been there yet, there's a very nice TSB you can view at

which gives air flow readings that relate to engine rpm and tps values. I'd recommend looking at it if you haven't already done so. It's TSB # 01-36-022.

If you do indeed have another air flow sensor problem, then, like I said previously, I'd suspect some sort of contamination issue. Perhaps even excessive engine oil entering the bellows from the breather hose and running down onto the sensor element.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the help. I'll start looking.

Al

Reply to
Big Al