CLK430 trunk lid pops open.

My suspicion is this... the car has been in a rear end collision... the body shop did a lousy job that the latch was only partially engaged so during an atmospheric pressure change, the trunk popped open.

When you drive on highway, the pressure is negative... suction. When you come to a stop, the pressure go from negative to normal... pressure change. Slamming the door is positive pressure... pressurizing interior and force out the trunk.

If the car has not been rear ended, then you have to check your vents in the trunk area... this allows pressure change and vents it out...

Reply to
Tiger

I need some clues to shy my trunk lid occasionally pops open. First sign of a problem was after car was shipped from California to New York last December. Shipper reported that trunk lid popped open while it was on the truck. When I got it, noe of the pneumatic items worked any more. Locks, trunk lid, headlamp washers. Diagnosis was failed PSE pump. Replaced this, and got it version coded, and all work, but trunk lid still pops open sometimes. I guess this will ultimately lead to the pump burning out again at cost of $500.

One clue is that after fast driving, when I come to a quick stop, it pops. Other times, when I slam the door shut, you can hear the pump actuate and it pops. Is this an atmospheric pressure thing. Is there a setting for internal air pressure in the car that makes NY different from CA. The weather sure is different. When you slam the door you do create a momentary pulse of air pressure in the car, but why would the pump electrically actuate? The garage said it might be coffee residue down in the trunk release switch in the console. Seemed unlikely, but don;t know.

Give me any ideas you have.

Thanks

John

Reply to
westscot

sounds like electrical problems. something is wrong with your silnoid (don't know if I spelled that correctly)

Reply to
OniIsan